to add or not add sugar to a IIPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temptnmonkey

Reaction score
I want to extract brew a big IPA/IIPA (OG estimated somewhere between 1.075-1.085), and I noticed a lot of recipes where some have sugar and others do not.

I have crystal malt and some flaked rye (a flavor I like) with a Golden light DME and Pilsen light DME base (3:1 GL to pilsen) in the recipe (with wheat because I like that too) and was wondering what benefit I would get from adding sugar?

It is going to be a 3 gallon batch and here is the recipe I have for a reference:

Grain
3 lbs of G. Light DME
1 lb of pilsen light DME
1 lb of bav. wheat DME
8 oz of Crystal 40
8 oz of Rye

Hops
0.5 Columbus 60 mins
0.5 Citra 30 mins
0.5 Citra 20 mins
0.5 Citra 10 mins
0.5 Columbus 5 mins
0.5 Citra 5 mins
0.5 Columbs FO
0.5 Citra FO

will dry hop with Columbus and Citra too.

Yeast: WLP001

Thanks! Any other recipe feedback is welcome too.

honeybadger hit it solidly. Another way of saying it is that the sugar will help you reach your target OG if your extracts/grains fall short. Specialty sugars can also add color/flavor.

One big advantage of the sugars in IPAs and IIPAs in particular is that you can add them at the end of the boil. Having a lower gravity during your boil will increase your hop utilization and gain you more bitterness. Another way to do this is to add some of your malt extract later in the boil.

Latest posts

Back