Vermont Tipsy Spruce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthEastSchist

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I've recently gotten myself into homebrewing as my primary source of beer, first to cut back on costs, secondly to find a lovely hobby. I've been keeping an eager eye on the local spruce, and was wondering what folks have done with them for brews? I've got plans to harvest and utilize them in a black ale as well as a farmhouse style ale. I'd love to hear any tips on when to harvest as well as how much to use.
Currently I'm brewing batches at 3.75 gallons for 3 gallon Fermonsters.

I tried to make spruce tea once and it was pretty unpleasant. I was aiming at spruce beer but bailed after tasting the tea. Looking back, I probably didn't use the right type of spruce tips, or harvest at the right time of year. So my only advice would be to make sure you get the right stuff. :)

If I recall one random source for spruce beer could be Townshends on YouTube. That channel is a fun hole to fall down.

I tried to make spruce tea once and it was pretty unpleasant. I was aiming at spruce beer but bailed after tasting the tea. Looking back, I probably didn't use the right type of spruce tips, or harvest at the right time of year. So my only advice would be to make sure you get the right stuff. :)

If I recall one random source for spruce beer could be Townshends on YouTube. That channel is a fun hole to fall down.
I just watched that video and while it's not "beer" per se, I'd try it. It might be interesting to swap out some of the fermentables with malt.

In the first few minutes he discusses the diff types of spruce and the quality of spruce essence. I would have been hesitant to use the stuff at home-brew stores before watching this.

Thanks Upstate for recommending the clip.

Back