Tips on using DIPA Ale - Omega Yeast Labs (heady topper yeast)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
Ok, so I've plunked down for the DIPA Ale (Alchemist yeast) by Omega Yeast Labs. I'd like to turn this yeast into my go to on anything that's hoppy - from session IPAs to NEIPAs.

I've heard its pretty finicky - any tips on using this yeast?

I'm also thinking of making a large starter and splitting it up so I can absorb some of the cost of the yeast. How many generations have you guys used this yeast for without ill effects? I don't slant yeast, just basically store on beer in mason jars which works on all my other strains (my fav being Brewery Achouffe)

Thanks in advance. :mug:

I have used that strain (OYL-052) for 5 batches so far. I double the size of my starter and harvest it in sanitized mason jars. So far I do not feel there have been any issues with it or any of the other yeast strains I have and use the same method.

I've used it for IPAs, NEIPAs, DIPAs and a wheat beer. It definitely has a peachy character to all of my beers with this yeast. One of my DIPAs I entered into a home brew competition for feedback. I entered it into an American Strong Ale category and it received 33.3 with an honorable mention. One judge mentioned it would have scored even higher had it been in the DIPA category. Fellow home brewers in our local home brew club mentioned orange characters for this beer.

I usually ferment this yeast around 65 degrees with good results.

Good luck!

Been a great strain for me. For a 5-gallon batch, I have only needed to control ambient and had great results. Keep ambient temps in low 60's for first two days of heavy activity, and allow to warm slowly over next two days to 68-70. Been easy to harvest and use as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for the replies, I will certainly take this into account.

I've read about the oxidation issues with this strain and a lot of hops - are you experiencing that or do you have a closed system? I'm wondering if there is a threshold on how many oz of dry or whirlpool hops where this becomes an issue?

Watching as I have three packs in the fridge and really want to bring out that peach flavor!

Also, I just brewed a chouffe style, small world, big beers! I'll be bottling it tomorrow.

As with any Conan strain, I would ferment a bit warmer and slightly underpitch, but that's me... Pitch at 64F ( 18C ) and let it rise for the course of the next 3-5 days. It will be finished by then.

From Mitch Steele’s IPA book Kimmich recommends pitching 6-7 million/ml and fermenting at 68 then raising to 72 on day 3. Sometimes it benefits from a first gen small beer before you get max attenuation in future gens.

Do you guys use this yeast on styles outside of IPA/Pale Ale? Anyone know if Alchemist uses the same strain for everything? I had a nice porter up at the brewery this summer.

Have you used this yeast in other English Ales like Mild or Brown, etc?

On couchsending's recommendations I'm going to start out with a small session pale ale and then work the yeast up from there.

fwiw, I have been over-build ranching a can of Imperial A04 for nearly a year across a lot of neipas and a couple of hoppy pales. With that strain I would avoid underpitching and/or cool running unless you're really into peach. I've been using comfortably over 1M/ml/°P pitch rates and running the first couple days at 66°F wort temperature and the peach is blessedly a minor contributor.

I've been alternating between A04 and wy1318 for my neipas this late summer/fall including the Heady' and 'Banger clones and haven't settled on a preference yet. But I split my last 10 gallon batch of Treehouse Julius clone between the two and whatever falls out of that will make the call...

Cheers!

Do you guys use this yeast on styles outside of IPA/Pale Ale? Anyone know if Alchemist uses the same strain for everything? I had a nice porter up at the brewery this summer.

Have you used this yeast in other English Ales like Mild or Brown, etc?

On couchsending's recommendations I'm going to start out with a small session pale ale and then work the yeast up from there.

I've used it to make an American Wheat and it turned out great! I haven't brewed a Mild or Brown of any kind so I can't speak of those, but again the American Wheat turned out nice with the OYL-052.

I used Omega DIPA for a NE IPA I brewed two weeks ago: took gravity reading= 1.017-1.020ish. OG was 1.070 (6 gallon batch).

2.5 L starter on stirplate.

I’m really disappointed. Had it at 67-68 whole way, bubbled steady (not vigorously) for a week.

I was hoping 1.010-1.012 FG. I’ve used this yeast before, with much better results.

Thoughts? Was making this form my 40th BD party in 2 weeks.

I used Omega DIPA for a NE IPA I brewed two weeks ago: took gravity reading= 1.017-1.020ish. OG was 1.070 (6 gallon batch).

2.5 L starter on stirplate.

I’m really disappointed. Had it at 67-68 whole way, bubbled steady (not vigorously) for a week.

I was hoping 1.010-1.012 FG. I’ve used this yeast before, with much better results.

Thoughts? Was making this form my 40th BD party in 2 weeks.

Always remember, yeast is a living thing. It will not always do what you want it to. I cannot think of a single yeast I have used where there was not an occasional "different" batch.

Especially that yeast... unless you’re looking for the distinct eaters this particular yeast produces in my opinion there are much better, more consistent yeasts to use.

Watching as I have three packs in the fridge and really want to bring out that peach flavor!

Also, I just brewed a chouffe style, small world, big beers! I'll be bottling it tomorrow.

Peach happens above 70 -72 within the first two days in my experience. I usually pitch at 66 and warm to 70 in the first 24-30 hours and then let it rise to no more than 72. I usually hit it with the first dryhop at 36-48 hours. Dipa should finish pretty quick at 70-72

Edit: I always overpitch omega dipa. I shoot for lager pitch rates with that strain.

Cheers

Should I repitch?

Hard to say -

seem you are about 75% attenuation.

Depending on mash temps and fermentable sugar, you may be done at 1.017. (so - what, 6.9% ABV?)

I would not add any more Conan if I did re-pitch myself (just a function of dollars). Probably rehydrate and add US-05. You will not likely get any character from the yeast re-pitch with so little sugar left, so it may not matter which yeast you use. .

I would bump up to 72-73 degreees if I could and see if anything happens first. That little spike should not do any damage and might nudge out the last few points

Last edited:
1.016 and 1.012 can be indistinguishable sometimes. Maybe noticealbe side by side, but still will probably be just fine. Still at 7% . It's all good.

Back