Tips for boiling water/wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg816am

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

New Brewer, I recently finished my first 5 gallon extract batch and am ready to brew more! The one thing that is holding me back is the boiling process. I have a inefficient gas stove, and just bringing the 2-3 gallons of water up to temp is a very long (over an hour) process. And that is before I start adding extract and boiling. So I am looking for other suggestions.

I live in a condo with a wooden deck. I keep thinking a propane burner, however, being on a wooden deck with the burner concerns me. Should it? The other option I was looking into was an induction burner, but if I went that way I would only want to do 120V, and from researching that it looks like that will not be effective.

Any suggestions? Am I worrying too much about the burner on my porch? Will a 120V induction be enough? I've researched so much at this point I don't know what to think!

Thanks!

to be honest...i stack a bunch of wood shelves high enough so that when my 16gal pot is sitting on my burner, it's high enough up to transfer wort into carboy.

most of the flame/heat is directed upwards if that helps you decide, but obviously there is still a risk.

i'd be more concerned with boil overs and making a giant sticky mess all over your wood deck. get some fermcap in your toolbelt!

burnerstand.jpg

I would imagine that the land lord / condo board might have something to say about a propane burner on the deck. I don't imagine it is particularly dangerous but there are probably rules in place against it.

Induction should work, it won't be as quick as propane, but it will boil wort. I've got a Grainfather, they are 120V and use a 1600W element. I routinely boil 24L (6.3 gal) on that unit without issue. Ramp times are a bit slow but not too bad, 30-ish min to mash temps and another 30-ish min to boil. You can always supplement a heat stick to the induction unit if you feel it's too slow.

Similar to xpops, I have used a wooden box in the past to get my kettle high enough to drain into the fermentation bucket through a CFC (I now have a taller burner). I never had a problem and did not even scorched the wood. That said, wood and an open flame does pose risks.

As TheHopfather said, I would be more concerned about your landlord. Is there a ground level courtyard or something similar that you can use? I have known people brew on the sidewalk (as long as it doesnt block pedestrians and is allowed by local laws).

Thanks for the replies!
I have read over the rules and regs for my condo association, and there is nothing that says anything about a propane burner. If I have to, I can use my driveway, just it faces out into a main street and feel it might be distracting. I have done a little looking into a heat stick, but I'm really not keen in putting a hole in my kettle (which looks like what you have to do0

to be honest...i look a lot like my avatar!

Fixed that right up for ya....

I would look around and see if anyone else has a propane grill. If so, you might be good here. You should be able to pick up a burner pretty inexpensive used. Not sure where your located, but I have a spare I'd be willing to sell.

The advantage to using a heat stick on the stove is not dealing with the weather. The advantage of brewing outside is the smell and mess stays outside. I wouldn't want to brew in the house again even if I was single, but I'm also a neat freak. Only did it once many moons ago and said not again.

If it's any insight for induction burners; I use them for my setup. However I only brew a gallon at a time. It takes 15-20 minutes to heat up one gallon where I'm at, and I use an 1800 watt burner. I live in a small apartment where I cannot brew outside and I really enjoy it. I have seen videos of people using 2-1800 watt burners to brew 5-gallons successfully and if you're interested in that route I would highly suggest it. I'll leave the link below to the video. Just remember to keep your burners on separate fuses, if I put both of mine on the same fuse they pop it in a matter of 5 minutes. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/o04N3x27JMc

Thanks for the replies! Here is what I am going to do: A friend is letting me borrow his propane burner and I am going to try that out. I do like the idea of a heat stick though, and may purchase one of those for indoor brew days. Does anyone have a recommendation for one they like? I searched Amazon and most of them seemed to be pretty poorly reviewed, and look like junk...

I know you're probably done with this thread..but if I may make one more suggestion. One thing that I have used in the past while boiling on wood deck is a big metal 3 'x 5' oil drip tray. The kind you find in the autoparts stores. Mine had never seen oil....I just bought it to go under my propane BBQ. But it's what I had on hand so.... I figured I'd try it. Makes a good heat shield and the flanged edges also kept the spills from staining the deck:mug:

Thanks for the replies! Here is what I am going to do: A friend is letting me borrow his propane burner and I am going to try that out. I do like the idea of a heat stick though, and may purchase one of those for indoor brew days. Does anyone have a recommendation for one they like? I searched Amazon and most of them seemed to be pretty poorly reviewed, and look like junk...

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/hotrod.htm

I did three gallon partial boils until I got a propane burner, and they worked out quite well. Never timed the boils because I had to steep first at 155F, but it was certainly under an hour. After boil I topped off with tap water.

If you're at all worried about the burner on a would deck, pick up a cheap circular cookie sheet or use some heavy duty foil under the burner. Either one will reflect the heat away from the deck.

Back