Tip of hops shoot broke off--will it grow back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hey, all. I planted two Cascade rhizomes this year--first-timer, and I wanted to see what it was all about.

The shoots are coming up nicely, but on two of them, as soon as the delicate green shoots came up from the woody brown initial growth (like the technical language), they broke off in a strong rain storm.

Will they regrow from where they were broken off? Or should I cut them all the way down and give other shoots a chance?

Thanks,

CB

Don't worry about cutting them down at this point. Just wait for new shoots to start growing and then trim back those broken ones later on down the road. I had a few shoots eaten by an animal but new shoots have grown to replace them already.

that's good news, but are you saying the broken shoots won't send out new growth?

Are the shoots the white stem looking things that come out of the rhizome?

Can someone post a pic if they have one please for I am a confused noob hop farmer

but are you saying the broken shoots won't send out new growth?

Correct. Once the growing tip is broken, that's as long as that bine will get. They might grow a sidearm, but it's way too early in the season to worry about that.

Correct. Once the growing tip is broken, that's as long as that bine will get. They might grow a sidearm, but it's way too early in the season to worry about that.

I disagree, I have had this happen a couple of times now, the plant will make up for it and send out large sidearms. The ones on my Chinook last year grew maybe 8 feet past where the tip broke.

Hey, all. I planted two Cascade rhizomes this year--first-timer, and I wanted to see what it was all about.

The shoots are coming up nicely, but on two of them, as soon as the delicate green shoots came up from the woody brown initial growth (like the technical language), they broke off in a strong rain storm.

Will they regrow from where they were broken off? Or should I cut them all the way down and give other shoots a chance?

Thanks,

CB

Seems to me....I've seen this question again and again--numerous forums--and the majority of responses are in agreement with those here--however, there have also been many responses that claim that when the broken bine grows its top side branches to remove one of the top two and that the one remaining growth will become the leader and the bine will continue its upward growth.

Nobody ever heard that here?
Not worthy of repeating?
Not within the party line?
Just plain bs and everyone knows it?

Myself, I have never tried this, surely others have an opinion on this.

Nipping the growth tip tends to promote fuller, more robust lateral growth on many plants, but I'm not experienced enough in growing hops yet (first year) to say what will happen here.

Nipping the growth tip tends to promote fuller, more robust lateral growth on many plants, but I'm not experienced enough in growing hops yet (first year) to say what will happen here.
Yep--I've been removing the tops of many plants for years in order to get them to spread out below, and it works for all that I can think of right now. But the prevailing opinion on this re hops seems to be that doing so ends the vertical growth--yet there are those who insist that in the case of tops being removed that one of the side growths can become a leader and resume the upward growth of the previous lost top.

I've noticed this difference of opinion on different forum threads before, but I have never paid enough attention to my own hops to see if this is so or not. This is only my second year of planting hops, so my experience is limited.

But in homebrewing there seems to be many diffrences of "opinion" on numerous topics--I have seen homebrewers who do not boil their extract at all; some who only steep and/or dry hop their hops, and even those who--actually one--who, in addition to the above--claims he bottles his brew to any old vessel available, including mason jars.

But.... those with such "radical" ideas seem to be shouted down on most forums, and I suspect this is the reason most viewers see which way the wind is blowing and do not step outside the party line boundaries set by the majority.

That's life.

Best
Dick G

But.... those with such "radical" ideas seem to be shouted down on most forums, and I suspect this is the reason most viewers see which way the wind is blowing and do not step outside the party line boundaries set by the majority.

That's life.

Best
Dick G

Gunny G, I want to hear all radical ideas. Please post them here, and post them freely. In fact, and I am being serious, I think there should be a forum topic for "Radical Brewing Ideas and Off-the-Wall Practices."

I had a bine crack off, then I noted a week later than it had sprouted 3 new bines from that broken point. It grew out all crazy and uncontrolled. But i left it there - more growth the better I say!

Gunny G, I want to hear all radical ideas. Please post them here, and post them freely. In fact, and I am being serious, I think there should be a forum topic for "Radical Brewing Ideas and Off-the-Wall Practices."
Randy Mosher has a book called Radical Brewing that is pretty good; I posted a couple of my posts that were deleted by "perfumed prince" moderators over on my own beer websites (2), one on Mason jars, and the other regarding grafting hops onto another (unnamed) plant.
This site and/or the other one linked to it....

Gunny G's: BEER, HOMBREWING, FORUM, Etc. BREW YOUR OWN BEER!
Best
Dick G

well i hope your are right that growth will restart.
i was taking down some branches that were blocking the sun from my hops - and they dropped on two of my four plants, breaking a foot off the top of each one:(
they were 5 feet up the twine and i had already nipped off all the smaller shoots.

Mine are starting to resprout growing tips, but only after I nipped them down to the next node down.

the first two years or so should be to establish the root system imo. you'll get a harvest, but i'd just concentrate and keeping the plant as green as you can for a few years, and also realize these are tuff friggin climbers. you have to actually work to kill them off in my experience.

Here's an example of the results of a broken tip.
Arrow 1 is the tip end that broke.
Arrow 2 and 3 shows the lateral shoots heading up to the rope.

Hop nipped.jpg

Being a newbee at the hop-growing game, I hesitate making a comment that will keep this thread goinglonger than nessesary, BUT on 5/05/09 I submitted a thread on broken tips, that drew limited responses. I decided to just "leave everything to Mother Nature" ( except for providing twine for the plant to climb ). The two Sterling and one Galena that had lost their tips, sent out "growth" ( I won't call them shoots ) from the leaf-unions directly below. Although it took about two weeks for the new growth to amount to much, they are now happily climbing their twines, and look just like HBH0ss's pix.

yes - i checked mine a week after the "tipecation" and both plants are sending out strong growth from below the break and are again happily climbing their rope.

Latest posts

Back