Time to Prune Bines For a Better Harvest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
This will be my second year growing my own. My rhizomes are already much bigger than when I planted them last April and are already coming back strong. I've heard that I should prune them in later April/early May to get a better harvest and to ensure they are ready to pick in later August/September. Is that good advice or should I let them go ahead and grow?

Also, I'm growing in Winston Salem, North Carolina if that makes a difference.

I would train 3-4 bines per plant once they get about 2 feet long and then cut the remaining bines back. I'll probably be training mine in the next week or so.

Variety? That makes a huge difference. Some take at least two years to establish. Some aren't vigorous enough to cut back.

Since it is year 2. Cut off the bull shoots. Let everything else go. Let the root system establish more.

I'm afraid I don't know what a bull shoot is. I'm growing cascade and chinook, and got a harvest from each last year although the cascade produced much more.

A quick google search has enlightened me to what bull shoots are. However, the chinook are not growing as vigorously as the cascade, should I go easier on them since they are smaller?

Chinook seem to be later to emerge so not necessarily. I'd still not mess with either too much being 2nd year hops.

Back