time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
logo-stanford-university.161115751_std.gif
photo0.jpg

Lagunitas sucks? Pictures are hard... So much to read into!

You got it!

Clue explanations:

1. Petal + Uma = Petaluma (home of Lagunitas HQ)
2. A google search for "Stanford University lake" would reveal Lake Lagunita as the first result.

You're up, TCGoose.

Well, I didn't get any of those hints from the pictures. It was the definite distribution to the west coast and mid west that tipped me to lagunitas (brewery locations). Then My logic went the lake... Lagoon, laguna, lagunitas... And Stanford = sucks (I went to Cal 😄). No not really, wild ass guess.

Here's the next. Let's do brewery and beer. This brewery is close to my heart, but only goes to two states plus a big city in a third. One of their few year round beers.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415226198.386116.jpg

This beer isn't one of their barrel aged offerings, but it also doesn't do much to keep the beer geeks at Bay.

This brewery is known for their sours and tends to keeps many different barrels in their storage Area.

Well, it was a 1/3 shot. I guess outing the brewery is a hint as well -- so I have a 1/2 shot now, and someone else will come along and clean it up if I get it wrong.

The G3 (Golden Gate Gose) is supposed to be brilliantly clear with little head, so I'll guess:

Almanac Saison Dolores

Last edited:
P.S. I love their XPA (though most people seem to be rather blase on it) but I don't see it on their website anymore! Did they kill it? What a shame that would be.

Well, your 1/2 chance was incorrect. Not the saison Dolores. So I guess someone just needs to state the obvious.

Well, considering that I had never heard of this brewery before today, and since chocotaco did all of the work: I'll give it to you sir. :pipe:

Well, considering that I had never heard of this brewery before today, and since chocotaco did all of the work: I'll give it to you sir. :pipe:

The game is the game and the rules are the rules... I had fun figuring it out and (assuming TCGoose confirms your guess) I'll have just as much fun figuring yours out! Sleuthing is more fun than posting anyway!

Also, TIL that Almanac is well-known for their sours. I see their Farm-to-Barrel series all the time at the LHBS but haven't picked one up because "farm-to-barrel" sounds so pretentious. But next time I will, because of this thread. Whether I should thank TCGoose for this or not remains to be seen, but I have high hopes because I love a good sour.

Golden Gate Gose!!!

Yes!! But I guess chocotaco is up!

Farm to barrel is totally a pretentious slogan, but the beers are damn good. Don't get the sourdough wild ale though, not a sour, and pretty meh.

Winter Ale

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I think I'll give it to ya, since the label has three different descriptors of the beer on it and you've guessed two of them (winter warmer, winter ale), although not technically the style that the brewery states on their website: English-style Old Ale ("Old Ale" would have been fine). http://hopvalleybrewing.com/beer/

To further complicate things, BA lists it as a winter warmer, and RB lists it as an American Strong ale (probably more correct for this beer since it is fairly heavily hopped). However, the beer does have a very English flavor, I think they used a lot of English hops and malts for this one...

And yes, it does say "contains alcohol" on the label. IDK why.

IMG_0837.jpg

Here's the next one. Sorry guys, had a busy weekend.

Should we do specific beer again or is that getting old? Yeah, let's do it. Brewery and beer, please!

20141106_155749.jpg

P.S. the glass is not dirty, just the branding hasn't held up very well. Don't put your Enjoy By pint glasses through the dishwasher, folks!

Latest posts

Back