time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope.

Okay here's your hint: The breweries in this collaboration are considered pioneers of the craft beer movement.

No, not those either.
Next hint: The two breweries in this colab have been in operation for a combined 47 years.

I'm sure this hint will give it away.

Hint no. 3: This beer spent some time aging in 6 different types of barrel.

Not that one either, but I would say that beer looks pretty awesome and matches the hints almost perfectly. :beard:

Okay, last hint:

One of the breweries in the colab is less than 10 minutes from my house.

Deschutes/Hair of the Dog Conflux No. 1

This is probably it. But then I question the hint about "considered pioneers of the craft beer movement." I guess you could make a case for both of those breweries locally, and maybe Deschutes in general. But I still question Hair of the Dog as a particularly influential brewery.

Deschutes/Hair of the Dog Conflux No. 1

That is the one!

Deschutes founded in 1988 - 26 years
Hair of the Dog founded in 1993 - 21 years

Conflux No. 1 - Strong Ale - 11.6%
A blend of The Dissident (Flanders brown) and The Stoic (Belgian quad) and Fred (American strong) and Adam (Old ale)
Barrel Aging: Rye Whiskey, Cognac, Sherry, Pinot Noir, Bourbon, new American Oak, and new Oregon Oak

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

They were barrel aging beer in 1994 when almost nobody was doing it.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beer/index.ssf/2013/11/hair_of_the_dog_turns_20_small.html

OK. I'll chalk it up to "chocotaco does not know all that much about the history of the 'craft beer movement'". :mug:

I love these "identify the specific beer" challenges and I hope we can keep that going as the new trend in this thread. Gotta keep it fresh! :tank:

Edit: Reading that, it comes off as sarcastic but it was totally earnest. Added some smileys to clarify intent.

Edit 2: Reading that again with the smileys and the note, it still kind of comes across as a double-inception-sarcastic statement about how smileys are bull**** and how I hate Hair of the Dog and how I am totally ragequitting this thread. I am not sure what else to do about it, as I've already added smilies. But it is honestly not the case (well, I'm obviously not a huge fan of Hair of the Dog, but the rest of it is not the case). Online communication is hard.

That is the one!

Deschutes founded in 1988 - 26 years
Hair of the Dog founded in 1993 - 21 years

Conflux No. 1 - Strong Ale - 11.6%
A blend of The Dissident (Flanders brown) and The Stoic (Belgian quad) and Fred (American strong) and Adam (Old ale)
Barrel Aging: Rye Whiskey, Cognac, Sherry, Pinot Noir, Bourbon, new American Oak, and new Oregon Oak

Woohoo! I almost didn't guess it because I thought I remembered you saying 6 different barrels, but I count 7 there, and so many of these hinge on those kinds of details. Wasn't sure how "new American" and "Oregon" oak were different, though.

Anyway, I'll post one tonight! (8:45 AM on a workday might not be the best moment to crack open a beer)

Woohoo! I almost didn't guess it because I thought I remembered you saying 6 different barrels, but I count 7 there, and so many of these hinge on those kinds of details. Wasn't sure how "new American" and "Oregon" oak were different, though.

Anyway, I'll post one tonight! (8:45 AM on a workday might not be the best moment to crack open a beer)
Damn, my mistake on that one. I don't know where I got 6 from. In these cases I think it's safest to get the info direct from the brewery, and deschutes does state 7 types.
Edit: I just looked at the Ratebeer page and they list 8 types (new and used American oak)

Damn, my mistake on that one. I don't know where I got 6 from. In these cases I think it's safest to get the info direct from the brewery, and deschutes does state 7 types.
Edit: I just looked at the Ratebeer page and they list 8 types (new and used American oak)

Haha maybe they don't remember, and they just went with whatever popped into their heads. :tank:

Stone Enjoy By 10.31.14

Destihl Saint Dekkera Barrel Reserve Belgian Sour: Trappist Wheat Ale

Actually, I had almost decided to put up the Enjoy By 10.31.14, but decided to go a different route.

Mr. Feltimo, you seem to be the first to pick up on that hint (no surprise, since it's the kind that you like to give).

A little column A, a little column B, add a little something else and then I think you'll see.

Back