Time to bottle really high ABV Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey Lane

Reaction score
I did a clone of Delirium Tremins and so far, it's worked perfectly. I tasted it when I racked it 5-6 weeks ago and it's good.

The ferment stalled in the 1st fermenter at about ABV 10.5-11.5% and started again after being in the 2nd fermenter. It's been slow and steady up until a short while ago. There doesn't seem to be any activity now.

It's time to bottle in 750 ml Belgian corked bottles.

My question: What do I do for bottle conditioning? I've never done a monster beer before. I haven't taken the final gravity yet but the ABV will probably work out to 12-13%.

I have cane sugar, DME and yeast nutrient.

I would just add cane sugar and bottle like normal. In my experience Belgian yeast strains can handle that ABV without any problems. It will take a bit longer to carb and condition though. I'd wait at least another 6 weeks after bottling.

I made an 11% tripel with WLP530. It had no problem carbonating up at all. As cswis86 said, Belgian yeast strains can typically handle high ABV no problem.

I frequently bottle hi octane tripels. Depending on how long it's been sitting, just add sugar and bottle as normal. If it's been sitting awhile at low temps, I might rehydrate and add CBC-1 with the sugar.

P.S.; use enough sugar for 3.5 volumes.

Last edited:
Definitely add more yeast. Rehydrate 1-2g of dry yeast per 5 gallons and add with your sugar. It’s worth it trust me! You’ll get a much much faster refermentation in the bottle and better tasting beer.

For that ABV, EC-118 would be best. Red star champagne yeast or T-58 could work too. Dry yeast is easiest cause you can weigh the exact amount. That way you don’t end up with too much yeast sediment in each bottle.

Back