Time in primary if doing longer conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
I have a Wee Heavy in primary that's pretty well done with the major fermentation activity. Any point leaving it in primary for more than a week or two if I'm going to transfer to secondary and condition for 6 months or longer?

I have a Wee Heavy in primary that's pretty well done with the major fermentation activity. Any point leaving it in primary for more than a week or two if I'm going to transfer to secondary and condition for 6 months or longer?

Yes there is. Your beer was a high OG batch so the yeast will work slowly and may not have finished reworking the intermediate products of fermentation. Give it plenty of time for the yeast to complete that final step of fermentation. Don't rush it. After all, you aren't going to taste it for 6 months anyway, what's another week or two in the primary fermenter.

+1. And don't forget to minimize headspace in that secondary.

Should be pretty full, but I'll be purging the carboy with CO2 anyway.

Unless....it would be better to condition/age it in corny keg?

Should be pretty full, but I'll be purging the carboy with CO2 anyway.

Unless....it would be better to condition/age it in corny keg?

I don't know if its any better or not, but I like to condition in the keg if I have the spares. One less rack to do and I know the beer is safe under CO2

Back