Time for conditioning a robust porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerj

Reaction score
I posted my first thread a month or so ago asking for help to suss through my systems and why most of my beers of years past were so bad. Anyway, all that help worked! I've been drinking my rye pale ale for a few weeks and love it. Best beer I've made ever.

Now I've got a partial mash porter in the fermenter. It's Monday today. By this Friday it'll have been three weeks. There is still some very subtle activity going on in there. Little floaties and such. I designed the recipe with a solid local brewer. The aim is 9-10% alcohol. I've also decided not to use a secondary for this one.

How much longer should it condition in the glass before bottle conditioning?

I've got an imperial red ale that is doIng the same thing. Its been showing intermittent fermentation for over 3 weeks. I plan on 1 more week in primary, a 5 day dry hop and them into the keg.

I usually let my beer sit for at least a month in primary before I even consider moving it. Especially a bigger beer. I've had a few chug away for close to a month.

Don't worry about little happening in there.. Sometimes the CO2 will come out of solution and change the look.

Take a hydro reading.. Check it in 3 days.. Once it's set, I normally give it a week or so unless I need the primary, which is rare. 3-4 weeks on there sounds fine. Especially if you are kegging it. I like to keg it, and let it sit for a bit before I carb and move it in line.

Latest posts

Back