Time b/t first runnings & second....and a ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
So I have the cooler, bigger pot and propane burner.

I have been watching a bunch of videos online and one guy did something a bit different than I have seen.

The normal stuff:
Vorlauf
1st runnings (Btw do you let the water go down exposing the entire grain bed?)

Added sparge water, mashed and then

Not Normal (from what I have seen)
Mashed again for 45 minutes.

Is there that much time b/t 1st and 2nd runnings?

Also, while cleaning the metal pizza rack tonight I noticed that it would probably work pretty well for the sparge because it has raised rims and holes every two inches. Would this help not disturb the grain bed (i.e. no tunneling)?

Thx for your thoughts,
~Diz

i don't see any need to let it sit for more than 5 minutes between drainings/runnings. i vorlauf, switch the flow to a bucket and pour the vorlauf back in while it's flowing and drain it all the way. then add 1st sparge and repeat process; add second sparge and repeat one more time. has always worked great for me. i use buckets so i can be exact about how much i collect. also, the grain bed gets totally disturbed when i add my sparges, that's why i wait 5 minutes to let it settle again.

Latest posts

Back