TiltBridge - Tilt-to-WiFi Device for Tilt Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I guess I should point out that "someone" compelled me to change "orange" to that color. It doesn't have a real name outside of Texas as far as I know. ;)

1611347599461.png

Do you have an alternate screen that works?
I recommend this one, available on Amazon. There are others on Aliexpress to save a couple of bucks but I've not directly tried these.

These are smaller screens, true, but they are performing much better in testing right now. Unless you are looking for the larger form factor, these may be the best bet.

That said, in theory, any 320 x 240 ILI9341 TFT should work if you really want the real estate.

ETA: If you get the recommended one there, be aware it is USB-C. You will need an appropriate data cable to get it flashed.

More Noob questions:

I Flashed and installed a tiltbridge today, (Lolin ESP D32 Pro with Cable and TFT), it set up quickly with Brew Flasher and recognized my Red and Blue Tilts and populated on the tft screen.

I setup the tiltbridge in the AP program as "tiltbridge" and established on the same network as Fermentrack. I can log directly into the tiltbridge site 192.168.254.109 and see both tilts accurately updating.

When I go into Fermentrack at 192.168.254.51 I can add sensor "Tilt Hydrometer" and select Tiltbridge as the connection method. It asks for me to add a new tiltbridge and recognizes "tiltbridge" as one of the options. I enter it and get confirmation that a tiltbridge is setup and the URL is updated to Tiltbridge.

I now add the tilt hydrometer in fermentrack, selecting "tiltbridge" as connection option and it creates the sensor. When I go to the dashboard in Fermentrack and start a log for the tilt it doesn't generate any data for Gravity or Temperature and the graph never starts?, yet everything is working on the tft and the Tiltbridge Site?

I checked the Target URL and it looks correct http://192.168.254.51/tiltbridge/

Any ideas what I might be missing?

I am having a hell of a time. I cannot get brewflasher installed on my Windows PC. I have tried everything including installing Python. Any ideas? Github does not have the flasher as a single executable file like I saw in a hoe to install video on Youtube.

I am having a hell of a time. I cannot get brewflasher installed on my Windows PC. I have tried everything including installing Python. Any ideas? Github does not have the flasher as a single executable file like I saw in a hoe to install video on Youtube.
Go here: Releases · thorrak/brewflasher

Download this:

1611509629424.png

Unzip that file somewhere you can find it:

1611509759782.png

Run that file.

There is a revised case design thanks to @gromitdj - I just need to post it. Sorry about that...

Did this get posted by chance? Can't seem to find it... I printed TiltBridge Case - D32 Pro /w TFT by Thorrak which I found in the docs... but it appears the 1.1.0 print I made doesn't quite line up with the 1.1.0 screens I have. I thought maybe i printed 1.0.0 by accident, but just dbl checked and i did print the 1.1.0 files.

Thinking I can probably superglue the screen to fix it, but before fudging around thought i'd check if there was an update I missed. Re-printing would be easier.

:(.

Give me a few and let me see if I can figure out what happened.
It could be my browser (Chrome), "releases" does not come up as a tab on the website. The link that LBussy posted worked fine, I am not at home near my tilt at the moment, but the board seems to have fashed just fine.

More Noob questions:

I Flashed and installed a tiltbridge today, (Lolin ESP D32 Pro with Cable and TFT), it set up quickly with Brew Flasher and recognized my Red and Blue Tilts and populated on the tft screen.

I setup the tiltbridge in the AP program as "tiltbridge" and established on the same network as Fermentrack. I can log directly into the tiltbridge site 192.168.254.109 and see both tilts accurately updating.

When I go into Fermentrack at 192.168.254.51 I can add sensor "Tilt Hydrometer" and select Tiltbridge as the connection method. It asks for me to add a new tiltbridge and recognizes "tiltbridge" as one of the options. I enter it and get confirmation that a tiltbridge is setup and the URL is updated to Tiltbridge.

I now add the tilt hydrometer in fermentrack, selecting "tiltbridge" as connection option and it creates the sensor. When I go to the dashboard in Fermentrack and start a log for the tilt it doesn't generate any data for Gravity or Temperature and the graph never starts?, yet everything is working on the tft and the Tiltbridge Site?

I checked the Target URL and it looks correct http://192.168.254.51/tiltbridge/

Any ideas what I might be missing?

Update **** Solved *** I changed my Branch to DEV and updated - Restarted and the Tiltbridge started to populate correctly to Fermentrack.

Update **** Solved *** I changed my Branch to DEV and updated - Restarted and the Tiltbridge started to populate correctly to Fermentrack.

Actually almost everything is now working as expected, but one question. The Tiltbridge updates about every 15 seconds and just after it updates, maybe a about 5 seconds later it auto updates on the Website Fermentrack GUI interface under the Gravity, ABV, and Temperature. The graph does not auto update. You can got about 5 minutes or so and it doesn't change, but if you manually refresh the page and it will redraw the graph correctly?

Is there a way or setting? to have the graph auto update automatically like the Gravity, Temperature, and ABV does?

I recommend this one, available on Amazon. There are others on Aliexpress to save a couple of bucks but I've not directly tried these.

These are smaller screens, true, but they are performing much better in testing right now. Unless you are looking for the larger form factor, these may be the best bet.

That said, in theory, any 320 x 240 ILI9341 TFT should work if you really want the real estate.

ETA: If you get the recommended one there, be aware it is USB-C. You will need an appropriate data cable to get it flashed.

Cheers! Thanks for the info. I will give the Amazon one a try.

Did this get posted by chance? Can't seem to find it... I printed TiltBridge Case - D32 Pro /w TFT by Thorrak which I found in the docs... but it appears the 1.1.0 print I made doesn't quite line up with the 1.1.0 screens I have. I thought maybe i printed 1.0.0 by accident, but just dbl checked and i did print the 1.1.0 files.

Thinking I can probably superglue the screen to fix it, but before fudging around thought i'd check if there was an update I missed. Re-printing would be easier.

I'll have to print the STLs I have uploaded and check to make sure they fit the screens they claim to fit, but glancing at the files themselves they do appear to be shifted just the amount I would have expected between the two screen versions.

One thing I would recommend - Take a look at the actual screen you purchased and make sure that v1.1.0 is screen-printed on the PCB the TFT is mounted to. I think they found a batch of v1.0.0 screens late last year and actually went back to selling those, so some people who thought they bought v1.1.0 screens actually got v1.0.0.

For what it's worth, the only difference is how the screen is mounted to the PCB. They both function the same (though one requires toggling a setting in the TiltBridge firmware to have everything display right side up)

Actually almost everything is now working as expected, but one question. The Tiltbridge updates about every 15 seconds and just after it updates, maybe a about 5 seconds later it auto updates on the Website Fermentrack GUI interface under the Gravity, ABV, and Temperature. The graph does not auto update. You can got about 5 minutes or so and it doesn't change, but if you manually refresh the page and it will redraw the graph correctly?

Is there a way or setting? to have the graph auto update automatically like the Gravity, Temperature, and ABV does?

Currently, no. Getting that built was a bit of a pain, and my tolerance for working with dygraph ran out before I managed to get that feature working. For the time being, you'll have to manually hit refresh to get the graph to update - but that said, pull requests are definitely welcome on this one!

Currently, no. Getting that built was a bit of a pain, and my tolerance for working with dygraph ran out before I managed to get that feature working. For the time being, you'll have to manually hit refresh to get the graph to update - but that said, pull requests are definitely welcome on this one!
No way, Jose.

1611586506083.png

Hi there,

This is from the doc.

If you use another board, make sure to select the appropriate firmware:

• “OLED” boards, those with less than 16MB of flash, and those lacking a screen entirely should select the “OLED” firmware variant
  • Any non-“OLED” board with 16MB of flash or greater using an attached ILI9341-driven TFT should select the “TFT” firmware variant.
But i cant find the OLED firmware anymore?
Do the OLED firmware have a new name?

d32_pro_tft_firmware
lcd_ssd1306_firmware
tft_espi_firmware

Best regards,
Frank

Last edited:
Hi there,

Here is from the doc.

If you use another board, make sure to select the appropriate firmware:

• “OLED” boards, those with less than 16MB of flash, and those lacking a screen entirely should select the “OLED” firmware variant
  • Any non-“OLED” board with 16MB of flash or greater using an attached ILI9341-driven TFT should select the “TFT” firmware variant.
But i cant find the OLED firmware anymore?
Do the OLED firmware have a new name?

d32_pro_tft_firmware
lcd_ssd1306_firmware
tft_espi_firmware

Best regards,
Frank

Ack! Apparently I need to update/clarify the documentation - sorry about that!

The "SSD1306" is the OLED firmware. That is the part number of the OLED display.

been me that screwed it up. I'm
I'll have to print the STLs I have uploaded and check to make sure they fit the screens they claim to fit, but glancing at the files themselves they do appear to be shifted just the amount I would have expected between the two screen versions.

One thing I would recommend - Take a look at the actual screen you purchased and make sure that v1.1.0 is screen-printed on the PCB the TFT is mounted to. I think they found a batch of v1.0.0 screens late last year and actually went back to selling those, so some people who thought they bought v1.1.0 screens actually got v1.0.0.

Turns out they are in fact 1.0.0 (at least on the order link i used). But the screens physically say "1.1.0". I ordered them from aliexpress here: US $7.5 |TFT 2.4 Touch Shield V1.0.0 for LOLIN (WEMOS) D1 mini 2.4 . I wasn't aware there were two versions when ordering the screens. But when ordering the case to be printed I saw the notes and checked. I in fact have 3x screens that say "1.1.0" on them, but are "1.0.0" stock most likely since the 1.1.0 box didn't fit (didn't measure, but the lid tabs wouldn't fit with screen inserted without moving the screen over)

So ... everyone be aware, there are some sites selling 1.1.0 printed screens that are in fact 1.0.0. I wouldn't be surprised to see these showing up as "1.1.0" screens being sold. We may want to take measurements and verify not just by the lettering.

20210127_102041.jpg

Last edited:
One suggestion.. on the TFT firmware it would be nice to turn off "press again to reset" function. A checkbox in the UI would be wonderful... since i hate this function. I've managed to reset mine a few times by accident when playing with it and have to reprogram the AP/SSID. I get the purpose of it, but wouldn't care if i had to reflash one that went awol.

They are in fact 1.1.0 (at least on the screen printing). But these are aliexpress screens... so, it's entirely possible someone is selling a batch of 1.0.0 screens, or just bad specs period... It's hard to get genuine parts via slow boat. I ended up just shaving the knobbies off and use a dab of superglue to hold the screens down. I'm not really too worried about the screen sliding around if it gets loose as long as it can't fall out.

Give me ~1 hour. I think I know what happened, and am waiting on a print to finish ;)

FF392191-9504-4627-BA03-CBF6E4964225.jpeg

One suggestion.. on the TFT firmware it would be nice to turn off "press again to reset" function. A checkbox in the UI would be wonderful... since i hate this function. I've managed to reset mine a few times by accident when playing with it and have to reprogram the AP/SSID. I get the purpose of it, but wouldn't care if i had to reflash one that went awol.
I feel your pain. I have done it myself too many times.

I re-wrote that portion to make it less likely that you will mistakenly reset the WiFi connection. It is a (somewhat) necessary evil since there are no external buttons in that setup. The update will come when the new version is released.

Note about the users who are having issues with missing time gaps... I've noticed the TCP stack on these is quite horrible... or the wlan is bad. I originally had just a "LOLIN D32 Pro v2.0.0" that I got off aliexpress so was thinking it's just cheap clone garbage. I ordered a one of the smaller USB-C TTGO boards from amzn to see if it was better.

Both appear to have at best 30-50ms ping response and usualy 300-700ms and about 30-50% pkt loss. I'm not sure if it's just an issue with ping being bad because ICMP is low priority or if it's legit that bad. I'm not logging via MTQQ the results yet so i don't know if i have gaps. But if the wifi is this spotty sitting next to the AP/router then i bet some of the folks here are going to have disconnects and other issues with them in garages, etc.

Two that i've tested so far, neither seems to be much better than the other as far as ping results. I favor the smaller form factor and cheapness of the USB-C model (no need to buy screen at $7):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32883116057.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1bec4c4dR8152vhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VNG9D52/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I feel your pain. I have done it myself too many times.

I re-wrote that portion to make it less likely that you will mistakenly reset the WiFi connection. It is a (somewhat) necessary evil since there are no external buttons in that setup. The update will come when the new version is released.

Yup.. that's the only reason i wasn't more upset when it happens... there are no external buttons so if it stops "working" for some reason and won't get on wifi then you have to drag it to a PC and reflash firmware which could be scary for some people.

I'd say "feature request" to have a toggle on/off in UI to disable it would be nice to have if there are no other issues to fix and someone is bored :)

If it was as easy as cutting one of the wires i'd probably do it... :)

Ack! Apparently I need to update/clarify the documentation - sorry about that!

The "SSD1306" is the OLED firmware. That is the part number of the OLED display.

Thanks Thorrak,

Do you have any ide whats the reason for not showing the data from both Tilt's?
The distanse between the Tilt's and Tiltbridge is 2 meters and i use Speidel plastic tank.

tilt.jpg

If I had to guess, that is a result of the controller not completing the page requests. Those {{mustache braces}} should never show up if all the files load.

Shift-refresh and try again.

Turns out they are in fact 1.0.0 (at least on the order link i used). But the screens physically say "1.1.0". I ordered them from aliexpress here: US $7.5 |TFT 2.4 Touch Shield V1.0.0 for LOLIN (WEMOS) D1 mini 2.4 . I wasn't aware there were two versions when ordering the screens. But when ordering the case to be printed I saw the notes and checked. I in fact have 3x screens that say "1.1.0" on them, but are "1.0.0" stock most likely since the 1.1.0 box didn't fit (didn't measure, but the lid tabs wouldn't fit with screen inserted without moving the screen over)

So ... everyone be aware, there are some sites selling 1.1.0 printed screens that are in fact 1.0.0. I wouldn't be surprised to see these showing up as "1.1.0" screens being sold. We may want to take measurements and verify not just by the lettering.

View attachment 716057

So, the v1.1.0 base I had posted previously had the posts in the wrong place. That's on me - @gromitdj was helping make revisions, and when I was saving them down I neglected to save them down with any indication of the revision number, and ended up uploading the wrong revision. I updated the "base" case STL on Thingiverse this afternoon - the v1.1.0 base should now should properly fit v1.1.0 screens with the display area centered in the case.

For the curious - the difference between the v1.1.0 and v1.0.0 boards appears to be the orientation of the TFT on the PCB. If you look closely at the TFT, the display area is asymmetric relative to the board, and there is mode dead space to one side. As the TFT itself is rotated 180 degrees between the two designs, this asymmetry causes the screen to no longer be centered relative to the case.

Note about the users who are having issues with missing time gaps... I've noticed the TCP stack on these is quite horrible... or the wlan is bad. I originally had just a "LOLIN D32 Pro v2.0.0" that I got off aliexpress so was thinking it's just cheap clone garbage. I ordered a one of the smaller USB-C TTGO boards from amzn to see if it was better.

Both appear to have at best 30-50ms ping response and usualy 300-700ms and about 30-50% pkt loss. I'm not sure if it's just an issue with ping being bad because ICMP is low priority or if it's legit that bad. I'm not logging via MTQQ the results yet so i don't know if i have gaps. But if the wifi is this spotty sitting next to the AP/router then i bet some of the folks here are going to have disconnects and other issues with them in garages, etc.

Two that i've tested so far, neither seems to be much better than the other as far as ping results. I favor the smaller form factor and cheapness of the USB-C model (no need to buy screen at $7):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32883116057.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1bec4c4dR8152vhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VNG9D52/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TiltBridge has been at the bleeding edge of library support since it was initially conceived, and unfortunately stretches the boundaries of what the platform can do given the current state of the framework. There have been a number of improvements since the last uplift, and @LBussy and @pletch have been helping over the past month and a half to bring everything back up-to-date. These improvements are coming soon as part of what I hope will be the v1.0 release, and hopefully will address the performance concerns you noted.

That said - the update will be software only so all existing builds should be able to take advantage (and anyone that wants to build a TiltBridge shouldn't wait to do so). It's amazing what a difference a year and a half of platform maturity makes!

I am having trouble connecting the esp to my network. I am able to open up the AP page and I can see my network and enter the password. then it states, Saving credentials
Trying to connect ESP to network
If it fails reconnect to AP to try again
It wont connect and the screen on the board is displaying this. please see pic. Can someone help me get this going?

1611811820843.png

I am having trouble connecting the esp to my network. I am able to open up the AP page and I can see my network and enter the password. then it states, Saving credentials
Trying to connect ESP to network
If it fails reconnect to AP to try again
It wont connect and the screen on the board is displaying this. please see pic. Can someone help me get this going?

View attachment 716169
I’ve had that happen - sometimes it takes a few attempts, but eventually it always connects. No idea why. It seems to be a function of the WiFi manager library

Try to flash again but this time select the erase flash button. Sometimes the memory which stores the credentials gets messed up.

I finally got my board to connect to the internet and it displaying my tilt! Thanks to Thorrak and LBussy. I have one more question. I cant connect to the tiltbridge dashboard from my browser. I'm on a mac computer and i tried on my iPhone and it states,

This site can’t be reached
Check if there is a typo in tiltbridge.local.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

I have one more question. I cant connect to the tiltbridge dashboard from my browser.
If you drop to the shell and ping tiltbridge.local, do you get an IP address? Are you able to connect to the IP address displayed on the screen?

Mac should understand mDNS natively, but you never know.

I finally got my board to connect to the internet and it displaying my tilt! Thanks to Thorrak and LBussy. I have one more question. I cant connect to the tiltbridge dashboard from my browser. I'm on a mac computer and i tried on my iPhone and it states,

This site can’t be reached
Check if there is a typo in tiltbridge.local.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

So does it work with your Mac but not your iPhone, or vice-versa?

Are both devices on the same WiFi network with your TiltBridge?

If I had to guess, that is a result of the controller not completing the page requests. Those {{mustache braces}} should never show up if all the files load.

Shift-refresh and try again.

Thanks @LBussy

No luck, i will try to reinstall the firmware. But im sure i did install the SSD1306 first time.
Just to be sure, tiltbridge work's on a ESP32-WROOM-32U ESP 32 Bluetooth + wifi dual module but without external antenna?
And it's ok to use 2 tilt's at the same time?

Frank

Last edited:
Are you installing the firmware with BrewFlasher? If so, try the "erase" option. You will need to set up your WiFi connection again, and you will lose any configuration. That will help rule out any spurious BS from the TCP settings.

Latest posts

Back