Three Philosophers mini-score?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgrayson726

Reaction score
I just picked up a 4 pack of on of my favorite quadrupels: Three Philosophers. I picked up the 4 pack of the 2008 brew for 11 dollars. So I got 48 oz of a 3 year aged quadrupel for 11 bucks. I'd say that's a pretty damn good deal.

Aside from that mini-score. I was wondering if anyone had a clone/similar recipe to this brew. I couldn't find anything significant after a search

I just picked up a 4 pack of on of my favorite quadrupels: Three Philosophers. I picked up the 4 pack of the 2008 brew for 11 dollars. So I got 48 oz of a 3 year aged quadrupel for 11 bucks. I'd say that's a pretty damn good deal.

Aside from that mini-score. I was wondering if anyone had a clone/similar recipe to this brew. I couldn't find anything significant after a search

It will be difficult to clone, I think. It is a blend of a Belgian Quad and a cherry lambic. I suppose if you could get the recipe of the Quad down you could pasteurize some Lindemans in the oven and add that at bottling.

EDIT: Scratch that, just found one. They add a 12oz bottle of Lindemans Kriek at kegging. This should be fine for kegging, but if you are bottling I'd be a bit worried about whatever yeast is in there going nuts with unfermented sugars and causing bottle bombs, so I'd pasteurize that bottle before chucking it in. Maybe someone more "in the know" could explain if that is necessary or not.

http://www.dubbeldachs.com/recipes_3phl.htm

I have the beginnings of a recipe HERE, but there's been some discussion about the current hops and hopping rate in use by the brewery. The recipe listed came out of Brew Like a Monk.

I wish I had gone the 4-pack route. I have a single 750 ml bottle of each year from 2006 to present in my beer fridge, and I'd like to do a vertical tasting, but my patience is wearing thin, but I'd still like to drink it in the meantime.

I did do the 4-packs for Samichlaus though. :D

Sadly, I haven't. I'm waiting on my brewing budget to get a bump before I dive into this one. Have to stick to cheaper-to-produce styles for the moment.

The percentages are from BLAM, and the actual amounts were calculated in BrewTarget, so they should be accurate. The only thing I'm really not sure on are the hops. BLAM says Northern Brewer, but another forum member has read that they use Columbus and Sterling. This will require some research, possibly an email to Ommegang.

This will require some research, possibly an email to Ommegang.

I've found that calling is a more productive way of getting information. That being said, I just called them and they are closed right now. I'll try again tomorrow.

I just got off the phone with their front office. Very nice people are working there. The person didn't know so he went to ask their brewmaster. He was informed that they use Sterling Goldings for their Three Philosophers

I just got off the phone with their front office. Very nice people are working there. The person didn't know so he went to ask their brewmaster. He was informed that they use Sterling Goldings for their Three Philosophers

Do they mean they use both Sterling and Goldings, or do they use "Styrian Goldings" (in which case I would just use Willamette). I'm not entirely sure "Sterling Goldings" is a hop.

Back