American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done this recipe to a T, 3 times in a row. This past time, my 4th. My og hit 1.052. I usually am right at 1.068-.71. I did, however go to a new brew store because I moved to another side of town. Same malt bill and everything. I'm wondering if the grain at this new place could have made that big of a difference. Oh well, it's still full of citra, I'm sure it'll be phenomenal at the end. I also add galaxy and centennial, I think they complement citra SO well

I've done this recipe to a T, 3 times in a row. This past time, my 4th. My og hit 1.052. I usually am right at 1.068-.71. I did, however go to a new brew store because I moved to another side of town. Same malt bill and everything. I'm wondering if the grain at this new place could have made that big of a difference. Oh well, it's still full of citra, I'm sure it'll be phenomenal at the end. I also add galaxy and centennial, I think they complement citra SO well

Do you crush your own grain?

I hit a 1.051 OG and will be putting it in the secondary in 4 more days to dry hop for 10. I of course will post my FG so you can know what to expect with a 1.052

Good LORD! S-04 ferments FAST!!! :eek: Fermentation slowed up yesterday to a bubble every 10 seconds or so. Just checked and it is dead stopped.

O.G 1.064
Final gravity? 1.010

And this was at 65 degrees. I noticed something was different when I checked the brewpi chart. Look at the 18:00 mark. That's when all fermentation came to halt. The last little bump in the end there is me opening the door of the fridge/fermentation chamber. Also, missing a day of charting as I had reset the name of the ferment which resets the charts.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=222142&stc=1&d=1409930182

The last time I used dry yeast was over 20 years ago when I started home brewing. I think things have changed a bit since then. I am going to start stocking up on dry yeast packs!

Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 11.15.20 AM.png

It's temperature, controlled by BrewPi. Beer temp, internal fridge temp, and room temp. You don't see the temps on the right as it is a dynamic loading page and I did not have the mouse over those parts of the graph.

The heating and cooling stabilized around 18:00. Previous to that you can see where BrewPi had to keep bringing down the temps in the chamber due to the temperature from fermentation.

For gravity I COULD get one of those Beer Bugs also. Hmmmm.

This. If not it if the stores grain mill that caused the efficiency loss.

I've got a pound of citra on the way for my first attempt. Any advice from others who have done this multiple times?

I've brewed it 3 or 4 times based on the original recipe and it's spot on and makes a fabulous brew!

Looking for advice...today is day 12 of 14 of primary fermenter resting at a 1.014. I took a reading 9 days ago and it was 1.015. Do you think I can call it good and rack to secondary for dry hopping at this point since I've only lost one point over 9 days? I can't imagine getting any lower in the next two days. Thanks!

Looking for advice...today is day 12 of 14 of primary fermenter resting at a 1.014. I took a reading 9 days ago and it was 1.015. Do you think I can call it good and rack to secondary for dry hopping at this point since I've only lost one point over 9 days? I can't imagine getting any lower in the next two days. Thanks!

shoulda racked and dry hopped when you took that sample on day 9. better yet, just dry hopped. no need to secondary

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410106092.594947.jpg
Just dry hopped and secondary'd. Note to self. Small mouth carboys suck ass for 3oz of leaf hops. That's gonna be a battle to clean out for sure. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410106230.411177.jpg

Got 5 gallons though. The reason I went so high was to force those leafs down into beer. Otherwise it looked like they were just gonna float all 10 days

Pellets. I got amazing aroma using 3oz pellets use em on all my beers. Don't really see a negative to them. Your leaves should drop in time but it mat come to a point where you'll have to use a sanitized spoon to push the portion in the neck down into the beer.

I put mine in first and then the beer. Not sure if it matters. I had some hop particles settle and floating around but most stayed on top. Yours looks beautiful!

shoulda racked and dry hopped when you took that sample on day 9. better yet, just dry hopped. no need to secondary

No need to secondary? I have read so so many varying opinions on whether to rack to secondary, it's rather confusing for me being a rookie. Could you please elaborate on your reasoning?

Thanks

No need to secondary? I have read so so many varying opinions on whether to rack to secondary, it's rather confusing for me being a rookie. Could you please elaborate on your reasoning?

Thanks

def a lot of hot debate on that topic!

racking just gives you another opportunity to oxidize your beer and/or possibly infect it. plus it's more work and creates more clean up :)

people say racking to secondary aids with clarity, and anecdotally i partially agree.

i would only recommend using a secondary if you need to wash/harvest yeast for another brew session. this way you can get cleaner yeast for your next pitch. this only applies if you are dry hopping as hop crud can make washing your yeast a bit tougher. the hop oils dont play well with the viability of the yeast either.

1 thing to consider when determining when to dry hop.. attenuation. a lot of brewers like to add dry hops just before their beer is fully attenuated. this allows the last bit of fermentation to help drive off/purge oxygen. a general rule of thumb is day 5 if youre not familiar with the recipe or yeast. this is especially a good idea when using a lot of leaf hops as they can hold more air than pellets.

That's a definite right on about more work and more clean up! I racked my first 2 batches. My 3rd, Pumpkin Ale, has been in the primary for 2 weeks, I won't secondary and I will see what happens. How many weeks do you primary prior to bottling or kegging?

I racked this recipe to secondary for a week and bottled yesterday. It smelled fantastic and I can't wait to try it!

That's a definite right on about more work and more clean up!

right!? brewing is already 70% clean up and Im sure Im not alone when I say.. it sucks!

How many weeks do you primary prior to bottling or kegging?

yet another hotly debated topic.

i watch attenuation like a hawk. as soon as the beer is done, i like to package it up. so unfortunately there is no set amount of days or weeks you can rely on.

take samples and taste the beer as it is maturing. this is gonna give you SO MUCH insight into how it is developing. with yeast's like wyeast 1968 or other non california ale types, you want to be on the look out for off flavors. things like diacetyl can be addressed if needed or you can get an idea of how adjuncts are adding to the flavor (oak, pumpkin, fruit, cocoa nibs etc).

for dry hopped beers - you can REALLY learn a lot about how the aroma and flavor are coming along by tasting the sample.

for this reason, fermenters with a spigot are very handy. opening a valve for a quick sample is a lot less involved than using a thief.

6 gallon batches are also a great idea. this leaves plenty of room for loss to trub, dry hops etc. especially samples though! it's nice to be able to pull samples at will and know you're keg will still be full to the brim.

brewed Aug 14, dry hopped Aug 24, bottled Aug 30, sampled Sep 5th. This beer was fully carbed in the bottle after only 6 days. I now understand why this beer is so popular. The tropical fruit from this beer is like nothing I've ever had before. Simply amazing. Calling this beer a citrus bomb is an understatement.

zd.jpg

Hi guys,

Unfortunately my internet connection is really slow, so I don't have to trawl through 151 pages of info, can anyone please tell me if the recipe on page 1 has been modified? And if so what page I should check?

Thank you very much for this recipe Skeezer, I look forward to trying this one. I haven't had an IPA from a USA brewery yet, can't wait to try a bottle of this one and also Dogfish Head 60 min IPA.

If you guys get the chance, the Feral Brewing Hop Hog (Australia) is a really nice IPA, my current favourite and well worth a try.

Yes Nick, that is the most current recipe.

And I was in Australia last year and the Hop Hog was one of the better IPA's I had (it was tough finding some hoppy beers in the smaller cities I visited; a little easier in the big cities). Mornington and Fig Tree were also good IPAs I had over there.

And NickAus... It's a dang good recipe! I've brewed it only once so far but it has been a hit with everyone that has tried it; Even SWMBO likes it and she's not generally a fan of my hop'ier brews. I have it on my "brew again list" but it's behind my holiday seasonal's right now. It's brew day will come around again soon!

Yes Nick, that is the most current recipe.

And I was in Australia last year and the Hop Hog was one of the better IPA's I had (it was tough finding some hoppy beers in the smaller cities I visited; a little easier in the big cities). Mornington and Fig Tree were also good IPAs I had over there.

Cool thanks Matt! I haven't tried those IPAs yet, I'm in North Queensland, so we don't get a huge selection either unfortunately.

And NickAus... It's a dang good recipe! I've brewed it only once so far but it has been a hit with everyone that has tried it; Even SWMBO likes it and she's not generally a fan of my hop'ier brews. I have it on my "brew again list" but it's behind my holiday seasonal's right now. It's brew day will come around again soon!

Great, thank you Nagorg! I'll have to try and find a bottle somehow over here (if it even comes here?!), or wait til I get to the states, as I won't have a clue if my brew ends up close or not lol. Oh well, as long as it's good.. Hopefully everything should be here tomorrow, so might brew soon... I need more kegs..

Fortunately or unfortunately SWMBO loves IPAs.. Fortunate in the sense that brewing expenditure is easily approved, unfortunate as she drinks half :mug:

Nick, I was at Three Floyds Brewery last week and they only had ZD on tap. It's difficult to find ANYWHERE and distribution is very limited. I suggest you plan a trip to Munster, Indiana (Chicago metro area). Cheers!

This clone recipe thread has taken on a life of it's own. Two years seven months and it's still very active. Congrats Skeezer and thank you!

Brewed my 5.5 gal batch on 8/19/14, just racked to secondary for dry hopping yesterday, so it was on the yeast for 3 weeks and it's tasting great so far.
OG: 1.067
SG as of yesterday: 1.016
It's been there for 1 week.

Dry hopping with 3 oz. of whole Citra
Thanks for the recipe Skeezer!

The beer selection in Townsville and Cairns was pretty bad (for hoppy beers). It was a little better in Sydney and Melbourne, so you should get down there :)

Thanks mtnagel, I'm near Cairns. There are two craft breweries now, one just closed down unfortunately though. I haven't tried the second one yet. I will soon though. I am in Sydney and Canberra next month and plan to drink myself silly...

Nick, I was at Three Floyds Brewery last week and they only had ZD on tap. It's difficult to find ANYWHERE and distribution is very limited. I suggest you plan a trip to Munster, Indiana (Chicago metro area). Cheers!

This clone recipe thread has taken on a life of it's own. Two years seven months and it's still very active. Congrats Skeezer and thank you!

thanks. Hmmm I really think they should post me a bottle for a review lol, just kidding. Indiana is actually on my list, I have friends there somewhere, so I'd better pop in and say hello.

Just to cont how good This recipe is went over a buddies house tonight and he had a friend in from Ind home of 3 Floyd's said he gets cases of this stuff. Glad I brought this clone for him to try and he said it's spot on damn identical. Feel good knowing if u brew it correctly its as good as the real thing. I'm brewing another batch next week and am going to mash in a little higher around 154-55 as the real ones I had were a little fuller/ sweeter and see if that doesn't hit the taste exactly. Mine dropped to 1.010 so its a touch drier but the hops were so more pronounced than the real zd Idk I may just keep it that way. Either way great recipe.

Okay guys, I have all the malt but forgot to order Citra (insert slap head icon now).. So I have Galaxy, Simcoe and Nelson Sauvin on hand... Should I have a crack with Galaxy perhaps, or buy some Citra (I'll have to wait about a week which will suck, but I can do it if I must)... Or should I go bat**** crazy and put a mix of all three in, which might be horrible...

yes... the one that started the thread. delicious!!!

awesome, thanks for the quick response, so I am confused on the HOP additions, is this only a 15 min boil? It says a hop addition is 1.25 ounces at 15 mins then the First Wort Hop of .75 oz when is this added?

Also, I have some confusion with the dry hopping, 3 ounces of Citra at 5-7 days, does that mean you are putting in all three ounces 7 days before kegging?

1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days) Hops - (used to say 10, i use 5-7 now)
SafAle English Ale (S-04)

Thanks for all your help!

Back