Thoughts on this uber cheap secondary/cold crash vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duck911

Reaction score
I am leaving town on Mon so am bottling with a buddy tomorrow. I really needed to free up on of our buckets for bottling, but it was full of Pale Ale, which was done fermenting middle of this last week.

Normally I like to leave the beer on the yeast cake for 2-3 weeks but this one had to be moved due to circumstances out of our control :eek:

I decided to cold crash it for a week, and next Fri when I get back I will toss it into a corny keg and carb.

So in a pinch, I bought this water jug at Sportsmans. On the bottom it says 2 (in a triangle) and HDPE right below that. A simple search here tells me that HDPE is a viable plastic for beers.........

The container is $6. Is this a good option for stretching out the pipeline a bit by using it for cold crashing, or as a holding tank until bottling day? Perhaps even for fermenting smaller test batches?

Here is it with a 5 gallon batch I just siphoned into it. I was gentle with the transfer and purged the headspace with CO2 before sticking it into the fridge:

secondary.jpg

thoughts?

Back