Thoughts on this Hoppy Wheat Style Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

working on my first recipe from scratch and wanted to get some tips/tweaking advice. Trying to make a nice hoppy Wheat style IPA. Looking to achieve yeasty, smooth body of a light German wheat style combined with the strong dry flavor and aroma of an American IPA. Feel free to be critical and tear this apart if I'm way off the mark. Thanks for the help!

Target OG: 1.060
Target FG: 1.015
Mash: 3.75 gallons for 60 mins @ 151 degrees. Fly sparge until volume reached
Boil: 6 Gallons for 5 Gallon final wort volume

Fermentables:
7 lbs US 2-Row Malt
3 lbs German Light Wheat Malt
8 oz US Crystal 15L
5 oz Flaked Wheat

Hops: Looking for 45-55 IBUs
.5 oz Citra @ 60 mins
1 oz Citra @ 15 mins
1 oz Centennial @ 0 mins
.5 oz Citra and .5 oz Centennial Dry Hop @ 7 days

Yeast: Starter with decant method
Wyeast 1056 (Ale) or Wyeast 1010 (Wheat)

Water: All Natural Spring water from 5-gallon jugs (Any pH treatment needed?)

Thanks for the help and advice!
Chris

I would use Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan Strain and maybe up the IBU, I just made a wItPA and had 75 IBU that seemed nowhere near as bitter as the number would indicate. Sounds good either way though.

IMO if he wants "the strong dry flavor and aroma of an American IPA", then Wy1056 / WLP001 is the better way to go. For my taste banana and clove will only detract from an American style wheat beer.

Personally, I'd double all the late hop additions. :p

Edit:
The one I have on tap now has wheat as 50% of the grain bill and no crystal.

I would lose the crystal and sub Mild Malt or a Dextrine malt like carapils. Also If you want to help that malt poke it's head out from all that wheat and Citra use Golden Promise as your base malt instead of pale 2-row.

Then I'd add a 0min Citra, & whirlpool it... maybe another oz.

Thanks guys! Here is an updated recipe based on all your comments. What do you think?

Target OG: 1.060
Target FG: 1.015
Mash: 3.75 gallons for 60 mins @ 151 degrees. Fly sparge until volume reached
Boil: 6.5 Gallons for 5.5 Gallon final wort volume

Fermentables:
7 lbs Golden PRomise (UK)
4 lbs German Wheat Malt
10 oz German CaraPils
5 oz Flaked Wheat

Hops: Looking for 50-60 IBUs
1 oz Citra @ 60 mins
1 oz Citra @ 15 mins
1 oz Centennial @ 0 mins
1 oz Citra @ 0 mins
1.5 oz Citra and .5 oz Centennial Dry Hop @ 7 days

Yeast: Starter with decant method
Wyeast 1056 (Possibly 2 packs?)

First, I like your recipe! I've just set up my ingredients to brew a clone of a great wheat IPA (Lagunitis' A Lil Sumpin Sumpin). It uses 50% each 2-row and white wheat malts and with all 9 ozs of hops it comes in at 48 ibu's.

Based on my clone, the only change I'd make is to lose the crystal and add a lb of Torrified wheat. Either way though it should come out light and flavorful!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Your last updated recipe looks good as is. If you can't do a 2L starter 48 hrs. before brewday, pitch two smack packs.

Don't go 50/50 on the base malt/wheat. Especially without rice hulls or a seriously good false bottom. You could bump up the flaked wheat to 1/2lb if you want, it won't make much of a difference other than making it easier to measure.

You didn't mention what your water is like. Where are you getting the water from, tap? Where do you live? In a light beer (OG & SRM) like this you'll need low temporary hardness water and a clean mineral profile to produce a clean crisp flavor.

Mashed at 151 will probably dry this out closer to 1.013 with good aeration and a mid 60s ferment temp. Make sure you give it at least 10 days to do it's thing.

Back