Thoughts on This Hop Head Red Partial Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHans3

Reaction score
So I tried Green Flash's Hop Head Red last week and I was blown away. I want to try my hand at making a partial mash recipe, and after looking at their website and searching these forums, here is what I came up with.

Hop Head Read Partial Clone

5 Gal Batch

5 lbs Extra Pale LME
3 lbs Munich LME
8 oz 120L
4 oz 60L
1 oz Carafa III

Mash specialty at 155F for 30 min. Add LME and start boil.

1 oz Columbus at 60 min
1 oz Amarillo at 30 min
1 oz Amarillo at 20 min
1 oz Amarillo at 10 min
1 oz Amarillo at 1 min

Dry Hop w/ 1 oz Amarillo

Yeast: WLP001 (White Labs California Ale)

Beer Calculus Stats:
ABV: 6%
14 SRM
OG: 1.060 FG: 1.015
77 IBUs

Any tips or suggestions? This is only my 6th brew, so any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

CHans

I really enjoyed this beer also. I made a clone attempt at it. Its in my drop down. Its AG, but prolly just replace the base malt with extract and be OK.

I really liked how it turned out. It was similar to Green Flash, but I don't think it would earn the title "clone."

I find GF's to have a LOT of raisen character. If you are looking for that you may want to try some Special B. But be careful. I hear a little goes a long way, especially if you are using the C120 in there.

Good luck. Even if it doesn't come out like a clone, the recipe looks tastey.

Bought ingredients yesterday. I changed the extra pale LME to pale LME and dropped the 120L to 4oz. I'll brew it up this week and let you know how it turns out!

Isn't the hop head red something like 7% (I just checked, it's 7% according to beer advocate.)? Also, while it'll likely produce a good beer, this technically isn't a partial mash recipe, since none of those malts have enzymes. Good luck, though!

Latest posts

Back