Thoughts on IPA? Galaxy hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
6.5 gal batch (AG)

13.5 pale malt
12 oz crystal40
8oz carapils

Bittering 60
.75oz Bravo
.50 Citra
(leftover hops from before)

30min
.25oz Galaxy

15min
.50oz Galaxy

10min
.50oz Galaxy

5min
.50oz Galaxy

0min
1oz galaxy

Dryhop
1oz galaxy (maybe 2?)

2 liter starter - california ale

I'm heating up mash water now... est 1.060 post boil

My advice. Delete the citra for bittering it's not a real good bittering hop. Delete the 30 min addition and move that to the 0 min addition and let that steep in the pot for 20 min after you shut off the burner. I dry hop with 3oz minimum for 5.5 gal batch you'll b happier if u increase the dry hop. Good luck

Move the 1/2oz of Citra to steep as well. I don't like lots of Citra (too obvious) but just a note with Galaxy would be great. 1oz of dry hop is probably a bit low for what you are going for but around 2 should be enough. Up to you, really, depends on how much of a hop head you are. All in all it looks great!

You needn't worry about using 0.50 oz. of Citra early on. You won't even detect it other than the bitterness it offers.

For that batch size, and for an IPA, you're way off on your late additions.

I would have done something more like this for a 6.5 gal batch:

Bittering 60
.75oz Bravo
.50 Citra
(leftover hops from before)

10min
2.00 oz Galaxy

0min
4.00 oz galaxy

5 day Dryhop
6.00 oz galaxy

ooow -- I like Galaxy hops, especially for dry hop, although I prefer leaf for dry hop!
Is this a 60 or 90 min boil?

Latest posts

Back