Good dry hop for Idaho7 IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurms

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to brew an IPA tomorrow, focusing on Idaho 7. However, I don't have enough to use it for dry hopping too and do not have access to the hop at my LHBS. I'm looking for suggestions as to what would compliment it well for a dry hop.

Right now in my freezer, I have 4oz Azacca, 4oz Sabro, 4oz Crystal, 4oz northern brewer, and some chinook. I have others but don't think they'd go well for an IPA. Locally, I can pick up most standard hops (assuming they're in stock).

Recipe (from my memory, don't have it in front of me).
Grain (OG - 1.062)
11.5 2Row
0.75 Crystal40
0.5 Carapils

Hops (IBU - ~85-90?)
1oz Nugget - 60min
1oz Idaho7 - 15min
1oz Idaho7 - 5min
2oz Idaho7 - 20min hopstand @ 170F

Thanks for the inputs. I might just roll with a combo of those two. My initial concern was making sure the dry hopped hops play nicely with the Idaho 7, but my guess is that most aroma hops can go with pretty much everything. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, anyway.

I definitely have heard that sabro is pretty potent, and that azacca is fairly mild. Would there be any concern using a 1:2 ratio where the azacca is just entirely masked? I imagine that's why Dgallo suggested less sabro than 1:2 because of that.

If you want it to be an Idaho7 based beer then you need to dry hop with it and not use it in the boil. While Idaho 7 does survive fermentation better than any other hop I’d personally move those 4oz to DH.

I hate Sabro personally And don’t think it goes well with Idaho 7. Azacca doesn’t survive fermentation at all so using it in the kettle won’t get you much except bitterness.

Citra and Idaho 7 work well together. Personally I think the Chinook and Crystal could be interesting on the hotside and DH with Idaho 7 and Azacca if you don’t want to go buy more hops.

When you say a hop "doesn't survive fermentation", do you mean the aroma of it? I can't imagine you'd be losing flavor since that would (way out of my wheel house here) chemically bonded to the wort?

Yeah, I'm wishing I had more Idaho 7 for the dry hops but unfortunately do not. I'm contemplating doing two ounces of Azacca and an ounce of either Centennial or Chinook since these two are sorta similar to Idaho 7. Still have a few days to decide at least!

When you say a hop "doesn't survive fermentation", do you mean the aroma of it? I can't imagine you'd be losing flavor since that would (way out of my wheel house here) chemically bonded to the wort?

Yeah, I'm wishing I had more Idaho 7 for the dry hops but unfortunately do not. I'm contemplating doing two ounces of Azacca and an ounce of either Centennial or Chinook since these two are sorta similar to Idaho 7. Still have a few days to decide at least!

The most effective way to get hop flavor and aroma into the beer is through dry hopping. Yes you will get some impact from adding hops on the hotside but it’s nothing close to the same impact from adding the same amount post fermentation.

Brew a hoppy beer sometime and taste it before you dry hop it or just don’t dry hop
It. Brew the same beer and add just a tiny amount of hops to the hotside but dry hop it heavily. It’ll be an eye opening experience I guarantee you.

Latest posts

Back