Thoughts on Falconer's Flight.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLocal

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this hop? By familiar I mean used it more than a couple times and craft recipes because you like it. Any great recipes with it?

I'm not familiar with it, but I hear a lot of people speaking highly of it. I still doubt I'll ever use it, though, for the same reason that I don't brew from kits.

Just had a single hop (well kinda) beer with it at Wiens (Millenium Falconers). I think it's a great standalone blend- it really has a unique flavor that stands out among even the more popular proprietary strains.

I have used it and I think another version of it Flight2 maybe? I really like it as a blend for pale ales. It has the basic essence of C hops but a little more mellow on the bittering, that seems to be a little closer to a noble but with nice level alphas. I have found that the addition schedule and yeast choice you can really pick out which fruity/citrusy character you want to emphasize with this blend. I like Ringwood at 65 and I usually get a peachy grapefruit kinda zing with a good dose of flameout hopping.

I brewed an IPA with it. I don't have the exact recipe at the moment, but it was something like:

10LB 2 row
1.5LB Crystal 60

1oz Summit 60min
.5oz Summit 15min
.5oz Falconers 15min
1oz Summit 0min
.5oz Falconers 0min

Dry hop
.5oz Summit
.5oz Falconers

I absolutely loved this beer. Not overly bitter, fantastic citrus flavor. I get grapefruit with some supporting 'fruity' flavors out of it. Huge fan. :)

There are two versions. One is falconer's flight, the other newer one is FF 7C's which as the name implies is a blend of 7 "C" hops.

I made this with it the other day and at first I didn't like it. The dry hop addition was pretty grassy, but maybe that's normal?? It has since mellowed out and become a pretty nice drinker.

9.5lb 2 row
.75 Crystal 10
.5 Special B

.5z Cascade - 50 mins
.5z Cascade - 45 mins
.5z Falconers Flight - 15 mins
.5z Falconers Flight - 10 mins
.5z Falconers Flight - 5 mins
.5z Falconers Flight - 0
1.0z Falconers Flight Dry Hopped 1 week

Nottingham at 66 degrees for 1 week
Cold crashed for 2 weeks in keg, one of which was dry hopping

Brewed July 29th

If you are looking at regular falconers flight (not 7 C's) - I have found it to be quite good in amber ales. I like 7 C's in APA's. Try a grain bill along the lines of this (it was for 6.5 gallons @1.066 OG).

11.50 lbs 71.32 % Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 60 mins 1.037
2.00 lbs 12.40 % Munich Malt 60 mins 1.037
1.00 lbs 6.20 % Oats, Flaked 60 mins 1.037
0.50 lbs 3.10 % White Wheat Malt 60 mins 1.040
2.00 ozs 0.78 % Carafa II 60 mins 1.032
0.75 lbs 4.65 % Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 60 mins 1.034
0.25 lbs 1.55 % Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 60 mins 1.034

Hops -

Bitter with an ounce of magnum or something like Columbus @ 60.

Then go falconers flight 1 ounce at a time @ 15, 10, 5, 0, dry or something similar.

I think it goes very well with a "west coast" style amber ale. Use it all the time. . . . . probably 2 lbs per year making 6.5 gallon batches at a time.

last time i used the regular falconers, it seemed really lemony. the time before that is more of a tropical fruit. not sure if it was a difference in blend or what.

Back