Thoughts on brown ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm brewing a beer for the parents over Christmas and they requested a brown ale. I'm thinking about doing something other than the standard crystal plus 3 or 4% chocolate, but nothing too crazy that they may not take to. I appreciate your thoughts on the following, or any ideas for modifications.

BROWN ALE / 5.5 gal / 1.052 / 5% / 25ish IBU
86% 2 Row
3% C40
4% C120
3.5% Black patent
3.5% Flaked Barley
Bittering hops at 60
1/2 oz. flavor hops @ 10
WY London ESB

Shooting for easy drinking, full flavored, with some toffee and dark fruit flavors. All thoughts suggestions appreciated!

I concur about using brown malt. I have stopped using any crystal over 60 because I just don't like the acrid flavors it often gives. I like roasted barely sometimes instead of black patent. My ideal brown would be about 80+% 2 row, brown malt and maybe some chocolate malt. I've made mine using all Fuggle or a mix of EKG and Fuggle. Your yeast looks fine. My favorite is 1099.

I concur about using brown malt. I have stopped using any crystal over 60 because I just don't like the acrid flavors it often gives. I like roasted barely sometimes instead of black patent. My ideal brown would be about 80+% 2 row, brown malt and maybe some chocolate malt. I've made mine using all Fuggle or a mix of EKG and Fuggle. Your yeast looks fine. My favorite is 1099.

+1

Hi everyone,

I'm brewing a beer for the parents over Christmas and they requested a brown ale. I'm thinking about doing something other than the standard crystal plus 3 or 4% chocolate, but nothing too crazy that they may not take to. I appreciate your thoughts on the following, or any ideas for modifications.

BROWN ALE / 5.5 gal / 1.052 / 5% / 25ish IBU
86% 2 Row
3% C40
4% C120
3.5% Black patent
3.5% Flaked Barley
Bittering hops at 60
1/2 oz. flavor hops @ 10
WY London ESB

Shooting for easy drinking, full flavored, with some toffee and dark fruit flavors. All thoughts suggestions appreciated!

I did a brown recently where I wanted a little less roast and more toast, so I pulled the chocolate back and added some biscuit/victory and toasted oats. Came out very good IMHO.

Thanks all.

They ended up requesting a pale ale after all that, but I'm planning to do an amber ale version of this for myself. I actually don't get acrid flavors from darker crystal or black patent, so I think I'm going keep some of that, but drop the C40 completely and add in about 8% worth of Munich.

Latest posts

Back