Quantcast

Thoughts on brown ale recipe?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm brewing a beer for the parents over Christmas and they requested a brown ale. I'm thinking about doing something other than the standard crystal plus 3 or 4% chocolate, but nothing too crazy that they may not take to. I appreciate your thoughts on the following, or any ideas for modifications.

BROWN ALE / 5.5 gal / 1.052 / 5% / 25ish IBU
86% 2 Row
3% C40
4% C120
3.5% Black patent
3.5% Flaked Barley
Bittering hops at 60
1/2 oz. flavor hops @ 10
WY London ESB

Shooting for easy drinking, full flavored, with some toffee and dark fruit flavors. All thoughts suggestions appreciated!

Gravity

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Drop the C120 in favor of C60 and the C40 in favor of brown malt

I guess for bittering you're using EKG, fuggle or Willamette?

kevin58

Reaction score
I concur about using brown malt. I have stopped using any crystal over 60 because I just don't like the acrid flavors it often gives. I like roasted barely sometimes instead of black patent. My ideal brown would be about 80+% 2 row, brown malt and maybe some chocolate malt. I've made mine using all Fuggle or a mix of EKG and Fuggle. Your yeast looks fine. My favorite is 1099.

Gravity

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I concur about using brown malt. I have stopped using any crystal over 60 because I just don't like the acrid flavors it often gives. I like roasted barely sometimes instead of black patent. My ideal brown would be about 80+% 2 row, brown malt and maybe some chocolate malt. I've made mine using all Fuggle or a mix of EKG and Fuggle. Your yeast looks fine. My favorite is 1099.
+1

WestMichBrewer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm brewing a beer for the parents over Christmas and they requested a brown ale. I'm thinking about doing something other than the standard crystal plus 3 or 4% chocolate, but nothing too crazy that they may not take to. I appreciate your thoughts on the following, or any ideas for modifications.

BROWN ALE / 5.5 gal / 1.052 / 5% / 25ish IBU
86% 2 Row
3% C40
4% C120
3.5% Black patent
3.5% Flaked Barley
Bittering hops at 60
1/2 oz. flavor hops @ 10
WY London ESB

Shooting for easy drinking, full flavored, with some toffee and dark fruit flavors. All thoughts suggestions appreciated!
I did a brown recently where I wanted a little less roast and more toast, so I pulled the chocolate back and added some biscuit/victory and toasted oats. Came out very good IMHO.

OP
rhys333

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks all.

They ended up requesting a pale ale after all that, but I'm planning to do an amber ale version of this for myself. I actually don't get acrid flavors from darker crystal or black patent, so I think I'm going keep some of that, but drop the C40 completely and add in about 8% worth of Munich.

BIAB-Tim

Reaction score
Special Roast in a Brown Ale adds something special !