Thoughts from 1st brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shady oaks

Reaction score
Thanks again for the airlock answers some of you provided earlier. Now here are a few things that stuck out in my mind from this afternoon. The pot I bought was HUGE, big enough to discolor the top of the stove at the beginning of heating it up (finacee not the happiest, oops). The hot break did not boil over, and the foam layer that had built up disappated (sp?) shortly after reaching a rolling boil which I wasn't/didn't expect. Approx. 1/2 to 1 gallon of water evaporated during the process. After chilling the wort to 70F, I don't know what I expecting to see for the trub. There wasn't much there. When I measured the OG, I read 1.040 (is this about right for an Irish Stout?) And last, for now anyways, that even as prepared as I thought I was, I still sit here tonight hoping I didn't pull a newb mistake and not know it yet.

It sounds just fine! The "hot break" will do that- foam up, and then suddenly disappear after the hot break.

As far as the OG, we'd need to know what the ingredients are to give you advice, but if it's an extract kit, you're probably right at what the kit says you'll be.

if you brewed an Irish Stout, you will be fine. You can get away with a lot of things with an Irish Stout.

sounds all good to me man. now begin making one each weekend to get your mind off drinking what you created and before you know it, the pipeline will be full. and buy a propane burner so you can brew outside the kitchen/house and the fiance will be much happier.

I second that. Go outside! Quick! The fiances never like brewing, especially in their kitchen. Good luck!

I second that. Go outside! Quick! The fiances never like brewing, especially in their kitchen. Good luck!

I 'third' that :). Turkey burner works wonders and if something spills over, bust out the garden hose for clean-up!

+1 The turkey fryer will heat up like crazy and will save you time, not to mention your marriage! You may have to repaint that stove to get the color even again!

Back