thought i had iodopher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd38

Reaction score
well i dont have any, i am trying to brew tomorrow for fathers with the old man. Is there another way that you guys have tried and succeeded in sanatizing. Or should i just hold off

What are you sterilizing? 212 degree water works if it is not plastic or glass and held above 200 for 15 minutes. I would not use anything other than SaniClean, StarSan, or Iodophor. There may be better suggestions than this, though!!

Best of luck!!

My first batch, many years ago, was the recipe from the "Good Eats" show with Alton Brown. Yes, I know the recipe and process was not correct, but I used the method of sanitizing he used on the show. That is, unscented bleach and water solution. You do have to let things soak for a half hour, and you do have to thoroughly rinse after soaking (which many people consider defeating the purpose). Many people have, and still do sanitize with bleach, and my first batch sanitized this way came out fine, so if you're in a pinch, you could certainly give it a try.

At the risk of being highly controversial, I use bleach. Regular, cheap-ass, bleach. Add one ounce to 5 gallons of water, and THEN add one ounce of vinegar. I only give it 30 seconds or so contact time, and I don't rinse. This is all based on the bleach/ Starsan episode of basic brewing radio from years ago, where the inventor of Starsan explained it that way.

I'm new to brewing and have done this process in 3 of my 5 batches so far and, so far, not had any problems.

It works for me, but I know that lots of you are mentally spitting at me in disgust right now!

ok, thanks. Might be a dumb question but can i make a homemade iodopher with iodine my neighbor is a surgeon and has plenty inside his house??

I realized I was out of bleach when I was brewing 3 weeks ago. Just used lots of boiling water on all the equipment for the 3 batches I made that day, and no contamination problems yet! I would just fire up a kettle when it comes time to fill the bucket, as your stirring spoon and such does not need to be sanitized. You can even leave the airlock empty for the first few days until you get some sanitzer as the fermentation will produce positive pressure and keep out airborne contaminants.

While it may not be ideal, and is not a long term solution, it does work.

1 oz vinegar per gallon then add 1 oz bleach per gallon as described by Charley Talley.I've used it many times as a no rinse sanitizer.

1 oz vinegar per gallon then add 1 oz bleach per gallon as described by Charley Talley.I've used it many times as a no rinse sanitizer.

I was under the impression it was one ounce each per five gallons?

What are you sterilizing? 212 degree water works if it is not plastic or glass and held above 200 for 15 minutes. I would not use anything other than SaniClean, StarSan, or Iodophor. There may be better suggestions than this, though!!

Best of luck!!

While the listed items here are the prefered sanatizers, they are not the only ones.

Bleach works, any other good acid setup will work (vinigar?), boiling can work, but is impracticle for certian items - like your fermentor. And even more controversial than bleach is fragrence free Oxyclean (aka color safe bleach or as One-Step). Besure you get long enough contact time - Idaphor is basically 'instant' but Oxyclean/One-step is 10 minutes contact time.

As for the surgical Iodine, you could make a solution with that, IF you can find the right ratio.

ok, thanks. Might be a dumb question but can i make a homemade iodopher with iodine my neighbor is a surgeon and has plenty inside his house??

I know it's too late now, but the answer was yes, but you have to do the math based on the strength of the solution to figure out how much to dillute it to to get to the 12.5ppm that renders it a no-rinse/wet contact santizer. The usual is around 1 TBS/5 gallons of water.

well long story short, my wife thought i wpuld forget it and put it in her purse. lol the stress

Back