Though on this water profile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdauria

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I usually use distilled water and build my water, because my town's water report last year barely listed any numbers and I just have not gotten around to doing a Ward's Lab test.

Anyway, here is an "updated", as in it's a report for 2013 for Braintree, MA.

pH 7.1
Ca 13
Mg 3.2
Na 67.9
SO4 6.8
Cl 106
Alkalinity (just lists mg/l) 22.3
Hardness (lists unit as C.U.) 45.7

Any issues with this water besides the moderate high levels of sodium? Any other info I would need to know from the water department?

I am no expert, but I don't like high pH levels. This will greatly affect you if you mash/all-grain; your pH is too high in my opinion, but not sure. Others can chime in...

Ph is not as important as is alkalinity which yours is on the low side. This water looks like it may accentuate malt and mouthfeel due to high chloride and sodium. I would try brewing a couple different styles to see how this water works in your beer compared to the distilled you were using. The calcium is low so if this water doesn't work as is for an IPA; you could try adding gypsum.

As mentioned, water pH has almost nothing to do with its suitability for brewing. The alkalinity is nice and low. The sodium and chloride are a bit high, but not alarming. Those ions are probably a result of road salt runoff into the local reservoir. In a few months, those levels will probably be much lower. Check with the utility and ask if those ions vary throughout the year.

Overall, pretty good brewing water.

As mentioned, water pH has almost nothing to do with its suitability for brewing. The alkalinity is nice and low. The sodium and chloride are a bit high, but not alarming. Those ions are probably a result of road salt runoff into the local reservoir. In a few months, those levels will probably be much lower. Check with the utility and ask if those ions vary throughout the year.

Overall, pretty good brewing water.

Like I said, their 2012 report was lacking in detail for most of the numbers we need to know for brewing, but I had entered the 2011 numbers into BrewSmith and the 2013 numbers were pretty consistent with 2011. Sodium did go from 50 to 68 and chloride from 70 to 106, so you are probably right about road salts. But if that is case, after this winter, I can image how high the 2014 report will be when it comes out next year!

Thanks everyone!

Back