Thomas Jefferson Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am doing the pale malt and wheat malt version so far its blown the top off fermenter three times lol sheesh never had that happen but also first time doing yeast starter

I'm intrigued. Maybe use cluster hops & London ale yeast with some 6 row barley & wheat malt. Maybe 1.5lbs each of plain barley & wheat DME's for a partial mash biab version? A lil late for the 4th to brew for me,but maybe for labor day?

Ok over the fourth i tried this and shared with friends as a 4th celebration everybody but the coors light only drinker liked it LOL it is very earthy and hops are well balanced :drunk::ban::mug:

Can anyone speak to whether or not this has a good resemblance to Yards' Thomas Jefferson? This a is a favorite beer of my wife's and I would like to attempt to reproduce it for her.

One thing to note in all these recipes is that the reference to molasses is not a reference to blackstrap molasses, but more likely something like cane molasses- or inverted sugar. I'll find the source for that info and post it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

@brewmaster12 are you speculating it would be the same as golden syrup or more akin to dark treacle?

Yes. The best equivalent is probably dark treacle, but the first refining of sugar produces a slight golden syrup that is likely to have been used as well.

I doubt the original recipe would have had a single step mash as that is a more modern technique that didn't become popular until around 1850 or so (later in London). Also, the 10 minute addition is very unlikely, the hops would probably be boiled for the whole three hours, but some dry hops might have been added to the cask later on.

Here's one recipe I have from a manuscript from 1778-1797 (Imperial measures):

"Flack of Reading Receipt for brewing strong Beer

18 Bushels Malt
18 pounds of hops to 112 Gallons
Boil 3 hours

For Ale
12 Bushels Malt
9 pounds of hops 80 Gallons
Boil 2 hours

To stand in the mash Tub after mash 3 hours"

Beer as we can recognize today but nothing fancy. By the way "receipt" simply means "recipe".

Just redoing that stronger recipe in gallons and so...

For 135 gallons (typical household batch of the day) and assuming a brewhouse efficiency of 70%

618lb of malts (you probably want a slightly darker pale malt or chuck in some brown malt)
18lb of Goldings
3 hour boil

Your lowest attenuation yeast (65% aprox.) should give you at least
OG 1.122, FG 1.043, 10.4% ABV, 126 IBU

Niiiice! :ban:

Back