this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
brewing this kit this weekend for the first time
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3329

I bought a smack pack for the yeat, there is a product pdf on the page to look at to with directions and what not. Anyone have any tips that I might be missing? I have researched alot before I bought my first kit and have everything ready to go for this weekend. Hopefully this will be a fairly easy first beer

sanitize everything!

Smack the pack AT LEAST a few hours ahead of pitching time, preferably longer.

Don't boil the water with the specialty grains still in it.

Try to get the wort cooled as fast as possible, I used to use either the kitchen sink or the bathtub for an ice water bath, just dunk the brew kettle in there as far as you can without getting water into the kettle.

Have a few beers and have fun!

BierMuncher said:
It will be great.

Go ahead and activate that smack pack 3-4 hours ahead of time to allow it to swell and the yeast to get a head start.

I thought the smack pack is supposed to be prepared like 24 hours in advance?
i will have to check the directions on it again, but 24 hours in advance wouldnt hurt it would it?

and i take my initial gravoty reading after it has cooled and the yeast is added correct?
Do I just use a turkey baster or something to get it out of the carboy?

mot said:
and i take my initial gravoty reading after it has cooled and the yeast is added correct?
Do I just use a turkey baster or something to get it out of the carboy?

24 hours wouldn't hurt, I put my smackpacks in a large ziplock in case it bursts. You could always just transfer it to a sanitized pyrex glass or something like that, just make sure you cover it with plastic wrap so nothing can get in it.

I take the initial gravity after it has cooled and before I add the yeast. I also use a sanitized turkey baster. Or just take a warm sample and let it cool on it's own. No matter which way you do it, do not add the sample back into the rest of the beer.

thanks guys, anyone else have any pointers that you wish you would have heard of before you brewed your first time?

Looks like a very straightforward recipe.

I made up a "script" with a timeline for every step. I also kitted up the ingredients ahead of time to go along with the script.

Assuming this is a partial boil extract recipe, I boil the makeup water a day ahead of time and refrigerate it. That way I only need to cool the boil pot to about 100 F or so and mix it with the chilled water to get to pitching temp. This will also give you a time calibration on getting your pot onto a boil. I've heard of people making ice with the boiled water, but there additional sanitation issues with the ice containers and covering them.

I've always made starters as well. Not too difficult at all.

As others have said, think sanitation all the way through the process.

Good Luck!

thanks,

Another question I have, this is a partial boil it says 2 to 2.5 gallons of water I think.
I am looking into a turkey fryer and a big pot to do full extract boils, Is there alot that is involved in changing this recipe then if I boil 5 gallons at a time? Or any kit for that matter, I assume I would have to buy extra ingredients along with the kits to do full boils?

mot said:
Is there alot that is involved in changing this recipe then if I boil 5 gallons at a time? Or any kit for that matter, I assume I would have to buy extra ingredients along with the kits to do full boils?

Just don't steep the grains in the full 5 gallons -- use 2 or 2.5 like the partial boil instructions say. Steeping in more water will extract more tannins from the specialty grains.

You'll also probably want a wort chiller to cool the 5 gal. -- a kitchen sink or bathtub won't work as well with that much liquid.

No extra ingredients.

-Jon

If you warm up the yeast pack after smacking it, it will swell in a few hours as long as the yeast aren't sick.

Watch for boil overs (if you aren't using a big pot) they can sneak up on you.

Aerate well.

I would say take the OG reading after the wort is cooled before you pitch the yeast.

I use a ladle to scoop some out. Anything will work as long as it is sanitized, it has been my experience that it is difficult to feel confident about the cleanliness of a turkey baster.

jelsas said:
Just don't steep the grains in the full 5 gallons -- use 2 or 2.5 like the partial boil instructions say. Steeping in more water will extract more tannins from the specialty grains.

You'll also probably want a wort chiller to cool the 5 gal. -- a kitchen sink or bathtub won't work as well with that much liquid.

No extra ingredients.

-Jon

Yah those are my two next purchases I think is a big pot for full boils and a chiller.
So I steep in partial then do the rest of the boil full 5 gallon and I dont need to change any hops or extra extract?
Easier than I thought I thought I was goign to have to add more because of the full boil, others agree with this?

Did my first brew session (in about 5-6 years) last weekend. Different beer, but an almost identical kit setup: extract, steeping grains, and yeast smack-pack.

Smacked the pack about 6:00pm Fri, expecting to brew Sat morning. By 9:00pm the yeast had swelled, so I went ahead and brewed right then. Had krausen on it by noon on Saturday, so that was plenty of time for the yeast.

I too did tons of research & reading, but in the end, the brewing was really as simple as can be. It's really not much harder than boiling water. Just make sure everything is sanitary that touches the wort at the end of, and after, the boil.

You will extract more hop flavor/bitterness with a full boil if you go that way, so just be aware of that, otherwise you shouldn't need to adjust the ingredients any. If you're worried, just follow the kit instructions for a partial boil, it certainly won't hurt the beer any.

New Brew said:
Did my first brew session (in about 5-6 years) last weekend. Different beer, but an almost identical kit setup: extract, steeping grains, and yeast smack-pack.

Smacked the pack about 6:00pm Fri, expecting to brew Sat morning. By 9:00pm the yeast had swelled, so I went ahead and brewed right then. Had krausen on it by noon on Saturday, so that was plenty of time for the yeast.

I too did tons of research & reading, but in the end, the brewing was really as simple as can be. It's really not much harder than boiling water. Just make sure everything is sanitary that touches the wort at the end of, and after, the boil.

You will extract more hop flavor/bitterness with a full boil if you go that way, so just be aware of that, otherwise you shouldn't need to adjust the ingredients any. If you're worried, just follow the kit instructions for a partial boil, it certainly won't hurt the beer any.

yeah I am going to do a partial boils for the first time. I am sure I am reading into this WAY to much for my first time, once I do it it will probably be a load off my mind.
All the podcasts I have been listening to, books, and online stuff I am getting all these other little tweaks to do to your beers and should stay away from that stuff for now I suppose and just brew a simple batch:drunk:

mot said:

I bought a smack pack for the yeat, there is a product pdf on the page to look at to with directions and what not. Anyone have any tips that I might be missing? I have researched alot before I bought my first kit and have everything ready to go for this weekend. Hopefully this will be a fairly easy first beer

I too had that same question. As I have so much cook wear from my schooling in culinary arts I wanted to skip the small boils and go for the whole 5.5 gal. This is why I’m starting this hobby falls in-line with my other training.

mot said:

I can give you a piece of advice that I had to learn the hard way. Just because its called a smack pack do not take that to literally. If you smack it to hard like I did you could possibly spring a pin hole leak. Even though I just taped it up and it still swoll in a few hours I was still stressing contamination. My batch turned out fine though. I suggest laying it flat on the counter and moving the nutrient pack inside the pouch to one of the corners and gently rupturing the nutrient pack with the heel of your hand. Make sure that after it ruptures you squeeze out all the juice and give it a good shake.

mot said:
yeah I am going to do a partial boils for the first time. I am sure I am reading into this WAY to much for my first time, once I do it it will probably be a load off my mind.
All the podcasts I have been listening to, books, and online stuff I am getting all these other little tweaks to do to your beers and should stay away from that stuff for now I suppose and just brew a simple batch:drunk:

Good idea. Stick with the basic process first.

Just want to make sure you know that your recipe is for a 5 gallon batch....right?

Even though you're boiling 2-5 gallons, your primary fermenter is going to be five gallons because you'll top off with additional water.

A few things I wish I'd have known:

1) Use distilled water from the store. 1 gallon jugs are less than $1.00

2) Put three of the jugs in the freezer to super-chill before you start your brew. The wort is going to come off a full boil and it's going to take a lot to bring it down to 70 degrees for pitching the yeast.

3) Once your boil is done, put the pot into a sink full of cold water...covered. That cold water will soon become warm as the heat transfers. IF you have a double sink, fill the other sink and move the pot over there to continue to cool down. Repeat this process till you get the wort down to 100 degrees...then move it to the primary and add the iced water. In my experience, this should get your wort right to 70-75 degrees. I use a wire whisk (sanitized) to stir the **** and aerate the wort....AERATE YOUR WORT.....

4) If your using a digital thermometer, don't submerge the mesh wire...
5) Your most likely time for boil over will occur when you add hops...be careful.
6) You can achieve a rolling boil without the burner on high...be careful...boil overs happen fast.
7) Don't tap a glass thermometer on the side of the pot to shake off wort... :(
8) Make sure you know if your thermometer floats before letting go of it in the pot. :mad:
9) If your using a glass carboy, don't pour hot wort directly into it. Partially fill it with cold water first.
10) Have a tall cold glass of craft beer nearby and enjoy.

BierMuncher said:
Good idea. Stick with the basic process first.

Just want to make sure you know that your recipe is for a 5 gallon batch....right?

yeah, thanks for all the other tips, that what I am deciding on yet is used bottled water or my tap water. Distilled is sometime to pure from what I hear, my tap water isnt bad for drinking but who knows what could be in there that might harm the beer, and who knows what could be in there that might help it lol

mot said:
yeah, thanks for all the other tips, that what I am deciding on yet is used bottled water or my tap water. Distilled is sometime to pure from what I hear, my tap water isnt bad for drinking but who knows what could be in there that might harm the beer, and who knows what could be in there that might help it lol
Tap water is fine going into the boil pot because it will get sterilized. But tap water into your cooled wort is not so good and idea. If there is any bacteria in your water source, cool wort is like a restaurant.

Back