This starter doesn't look right to me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So I made this earlier and used golden light dme, but this just looks darker than anything I've made before using golden light dme. I already pitched my Conan into it so I guess I'll see what happens but typically it's more a yellow than this dirty water look. It smells just like malt no off flavor sat the moment. Any ideas or should I just remake it, however my Conan will be gone. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465167303.797660.jpg

Boiling the wort for 15 minutes, as most instructions say, will give you a darker color. I will bring the wort to a boil then cool to pitching temperature, aerate, and pitch the yeast. A very vigorous aeration will also give the wort the look of a lighter color.

Your jug looks very clean. Was the wort aerated?

Boiling the wort for 15 minutes, as most instructions say, will give you a darker color. I will bring the wort to a boil then cool to pitching temperature, aerate, and pitch the yeast. A very vigorous aeration will also give the wort the look of a lighter color.

Your jug looks very clean. Was the wort aerated?

It's starting to lighten up and yes I boiled this for 15 min prob longer than I have in the past, that was my initial thought I just boiled longer.

I didn't aerate with my wand if that's what u mean I just cooled and pitched the yeast then just shake every so often yes I know I need to get a stir plate.

It's starting to lighten up and yes I boiled this for 15 min prob longer than I have in the past, that was my initial thought I just boiled longer.

I didn't aerate with my wand if that's what u mean I just cooled and pitched the yeast then just shake every so often yes I know I need to get a stir plate.

You don't need a stir plate. Just shake the wort into a froth before you pitch the yeast and then shake and swirl as often as possible.

Back