This rookie needs a glossary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnsen

Reaction score
OK..I know..I should know this ,but if I did I wouldent have to ask , and I need to start someplace...I am thinking about plunging into allgrain sometime when I fill up my peabrain with some info...first I have read about converting the cube cooler...I have seen mention of MLT and HLT...ummm ok Mash Lauder tun....(right?)...and I just dont know the HLT...and what would be the differance between fly sparge and batch sparge?...and 80 % efficiency...hmmmm that would be the amount of water that comes out related to the amount put in when mashing?....someone has to ask these stupid questions...at my age I cant afford anymore bald spots scratching my head...thankx.....Tom

Howdy Tom!

Look through the All Grain subforum stickies, there should be a lot of information there, and lots of good online resources on how to brew all grain. We could write it all out here, but it would be a lot of redundancy.

MLT= mash lauter tun, where the grain gets converted to sugar.

HLT = hot liquor tun (I believe), is pretty much your boil kettle. You should already have that ready from any extract brewing done.

And as a general rule, 1lb of grain absorbs 1/8 gallon of water, so just do the math there to figure out how much water the grain is going to suck up and thus what is left over to drain out.

I must type really slow LOL

There are online tools and software downloads that will help you figure out how much water to use to compensate for the amount that the grain will absorb.

OK..I know..I should know this ,but if I did I wouldent have to ask , and I need to start someplace...I am thinking about plunging into allgrain sometime when I fill up my peabrain with some info...first I have read about converting the cube cooler...I have seen mention of MLT and HLT...ummm ok Mash Lauder tun....(right?)...and I just dont know the HLT...and what would be the differance between fly sparge and batch sparge?...and 80 % efficiency...hmmmm that would be the amount of water that comes out related to the amount put in when mashing?....someone has to ask these stupid questions...at my age I cant afford anymore bald spots scratching my head...thankx.....Tom

MLT already answered.
HLT = hot liquor tank/tun. (Somewhere to store the sparge water so it's available for the sparge).
Batch sparge. Vorlauf (drain a small amount of wort, and add it back to the mash, and repeat until you don't have any grain particles in the runnings).
Drain you first runnings into the kettle (or other container if you are using the kettle as a HLT). Add a batch of sparge water, stir to dissolve the sugars, wait 10 minutes to let it settle, vorlauf, and drain into the kettle (or other container if the kettle is not available. Repeat for a second batch if required.
Fly sparge. Vorlauf, and then slowly drain the wort into the kettle (or other container if the kettle is not available) while at the same time, you add the sparge water to the top of the grains.
Batch sparging is generally considered easier than fly sparging and produces good results with almost any equipment. Fly sparging can produce slightly higher efficiency, but only with the right equipment. It generally takes a lot longer to fly sparge.
Efficiency. A measure of the specific gravity of the wort (unfermented beer) compared to the theoretical maximum specific gravity. It's easiest to use brewing software like Beersmith, Promash, or BrewTarget to calculate your efficiency, but it can be done by hand.

-a.

thankx for the replies..great site I learn a bit more every time I come here....ummmm vorlauf??

Latest posts

Back