This is UGLY! I've never, ever seen this before...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazySumo

Reaction score
Just racked a wheat out of primary into a secondary. Managed this with the lid closed. While I was transferring I drew a little off and read FG plus tasted it. Good flavor but there was a little sour note on the backend, not much but some.

When I was done transferring and opened up the bucket I see this...

1gP7bwY.jpg

Ugh, wait, that's ACTUAL mold inside the carboy! No bueno!

So I'm not worried about cleanup and/or improving sanitation pointers, my brewing buddies are giving me plenty of those (plus a ton of crap over this, can't blame them) but here's my questions:

1. Any concerns about the safety of drinking this beer?
  2. Am I likely to ever open a bottle and see more blue gunk?

I think I'm going to call this one the Blue Pasteur. :)

Two weeks, temp controlled at 65d the entire time, never varied more than two degrees either way.

That's penicillium rocqueforti, just like someone said. I've grown this intentionally before (I make cheese, incl blue). It's the same mold that you find on moldy bread: it's really common.

I have never seen in on beer. PR requires oxygen to grow, so you apparently don't have an airtight fermentor. It's totally harmless of course, but you might have some flavor issues. But maybe not. In the bottle or keg it won't grow.

But if I was planning a big beer and cheese pairing what would I pair this wheat with? I really need some suggestions, completely stumped.

I had a batch get mold, and fruit flies. It was infected, but not toxic.

Had that last month with a batch of blonde ale. Saw the fruit flies at week one and noticed the lid was off! Resealed lid and hoped for the best but 10 days later it was BAD... Oh well

Back