This is infected. What is the microbe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
This cropped up on a Dubbel. It sort of looks like brett pellicle with the bubbles deflated. Is that a possibility? If not, what is it?

This cropped up on a Dubbel. It sort of looks like brett pellicle with the bubbles deflated. Is that a possibility? If not, what is it?

Impossible to differentially identify a microbe from a picture, macro or micro.

Given the massive oxygen rich headspace, it's likely a lactobacilli or an aceterobacter dominant biofilm.

Thanks. I guess if either of those is it I won't dump. A sour dubbel would be good, I think, as would malt vinegar made from a dubbel.

Did you see the enlarged image? If it helps, it smells somewhere between light acetone and bananas (1214 yeast used).

Impossible to differentially identify a microbe from a picture, macro or micro.

Given the massive oxygen rich headspace, it's likely a lactobacilli or an aceterobacter dominant biofilm.

With that amount of oxygen available to it my bet would be on an acetobacter infection. Without doing a genomic or biochemical test it's hard to tell the difference between the two though; they look similar at both the macro and micrograph level.

So it just tasted thin and bland. No sour. I'll probably dump it.

If it's not sour it could well be Brett or just a very young sour starting to develop. The pellicle forms under oxygen (air) to shield the beer from other competing micro-organisms. I'm surprised it's thin and bland tasting.

Back