This is going to be another expensive hobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Total price (so far)of the 48 qt Igloo Ice Cube MLT with attached fittings...$56 and the bazooka is going to be another $15. So, total of $71. Thats way better than buying the ready made 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler tun from the LHBS for $165 , with my savings , I think I'll be looking for a chugger pump or a used ebay 5 gallon ball lock corny keg and the appropriate serving equipment. Weighing the price of a keg vs 5 gallon batch worth of bottles . I think kegging is more economical and from what I've read, so much easier to maintain/clean/store one item instead of 156 glass bottles and caps ...each time.
I think i should be ready to brew once this is built. Anyone think of anything else I might NEED ?

A 5 gallon batch will take about 50 bottles. Kegging can be nice, but it comes with it's own set of issues.

Not sure why I picked that number. Yes it's probably closer to 50 or 60. But I'm looking for low long term cost and ease of use. Like I've said, from what I've read most everyone goes from bottling to kegging rather quickly. I've found refurbished 5 gallon ball lock cornys for a decent initial price , put a party tap on that and CO2 bottle and seems very economical, unless I've missed something .

Not sure why I picked that number. Yes it's probably closer to 50 or 60. But I'm looking for low long term cost and ease of use. Like I've said, from what I've read most everyone goes from bottling to kegging rather quickly. I've found refurbished 5 gallon ball lock cornys for a decent initial price , put a party tap on that and CO2 bottle and seems very economical, unless I've missed something .

I did use the picnic tap / cobra tap setup just set inside a fridge for a long time. It does work and it is very cheap to do. Things tend to get more complicated when you want more on draft at once.

you will eventually want more than one style on draft at once. Then you can finally make the leap to a full on kegerator / keezer setup.

You are on the right path, and you could always throw some in pet bottles and have both.

What are you using for heat?

Side note- I have personally commented many times (hope you can find it cause i dont know how to) on how to use a cheap ic effectively and because of my experience i would not recommend an overly expensive ic. General consensus says the bigger the better, but there are other variables. Here in colorado our cold winter water probably chills quicker and better than say a desert in summer. Depending on where you live adjustments may be needed.

Yes I figured I could keg most and bottle some for portability.
Heat ...for boiling the water/wort? I have a propane burner .
I was looking at an inexpensive copper coil IC ...I was guessing 3/8 to keep a uniform size with hard lines and hoses/tubing.
I also looked up the difference in running the product through the coil in a chilled vessel vs running the chilling agent via cheap pond pump (which I have already that runs another heat exchanger/condenser) through the coil through the hot product. Both had their pros and cons.

Heres where my thoughts are . Beer used to be made during the depression by every day people in their home kitchens. They didn't have access to nor the money for all these (expensive)things like we have now ,so what did they do?
I had this same thought when I started in tobacco. Sure theres all sorts of automation that makes the modern product but what did the settlers back in the day do it? It was simple... how or why did we get to where we are now. Convenience or time. Both probably.

got AG beer kit today at the LHBS . Came with everything 10 lb grain bill(+flaked wheat,rice hulls)and yeast and priming sugar ,even bottle caps and instructions . Its a hefeweizen .
I also picked up a couple carboy bungs and a bazooka to finish up the basics and mash tun cooler build .
Not sure when I'll start brewing but this is my maiden voyage .

consistency of product. beer making is largely a business endeavor.

my point was actually of the equipment we use vs what they used glass of course,but ...stainless steel and plastic hoses. Those weren't around then. So how did they do it and what did they use..wooden barrels and im assuming maybe copper .

Latest posts

Back