This forum is addictive!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMU_Alumn08

Reaction score
I can stop reading posts which is leading to my being overwhelmed...but I'm trying to find ways to improve my next batch even though I have no idea how my current (and very first batch) will even turn out. A few things I've learned in this forum so far is to try adding LME/DME later in the boil to keep color lighter--do the hops/other ingredients go in at their called for times or will that need to be altered? Also, will steeping grains along with extract brews improve quality of beer? Thanks everyone.

I'm slowly becoming addicted to this whole homebrewing thing.

We all know, it is a very overwhelming obsession.

First, adding hops/ingredients is all on you. I have bought kits that call for certain hops at certain times....i change it a bit, if i want it more hoppy instead of adding at 10 min i add at the start of the boil.

I think steeping really adds to the quality of the beer. Color and tastiness.

Yes, HBT is as addictive as the hobby of beer brewing.

Put 1/3 to 1/2 the malt in, bring to boil, then add hops as directed in the recipe. The only thing that changes is adding the remaining malt at the end of boil. I've added it any where from 15 to 0 minutes left of the boil and it works out great.

Steeping grains is the next step of improving your beer. It also give you a little more options to start making your own recipes or tweaking kits.

Woo, welcome to the forum, and moreso to the addition. I am in the same boat as you (still waiting for my first brew) but I am chomping at the bit to get more and more stuff so I can brew more exciting brews.

Read away my brotha! And Im sure most of this will come as old hat as we get more brews under the belt.
-Me

I am on this forum every single day. I only work three or four hours a week now, but fortunately I am on salary. But, I can quit anytime... Ummm, I just don't want to right now.... I'm not addicted! GET AWAY FROM ME! PUT MY MOUSE DOWN!

I've been brewing since august, and have 15-16 brews complete. Have a stretch with poor priming distribution but every brew has been drinkable, and some *really* good. Hanging out here has been as informational to me as Palmer's how-to-brew book. The book provides the science, hbt provides the art, and clarification.

I learned pretty quickly to add extract late in the brew to get a lighter beer. I also benefit from having a larger boil for hop extraction. My pot won't accommodate extract in a 4 gallon boil, but if I wait 45 minutes the evaporation drops the volume enough I can get the extract in. I don't add any extract before the 45 minute mark (not sure if this is a mistake or not). I hop, mini-mash and steep to schedule.

It won't be long before you get some sw and start tweaking your own recipes.

Welcome to the club.

I'm here since September and I'm 5 brews deep, will do another one in 2 weeks when I bottle BFBB. By February my pipeline will be fully established and it is fueled by me reading this forum for 50+ hours.

I'm only two batches in (that I've tried) with a third (Apfelwein) in the pipeline, so I can't say much, but I will say this ... RDWHAHB.

Tie yourself over with one of two things: 1) a bottle (or more) of your favorite brew, or 2) brew another batch (well, at least as much as SWMBO allows). I highly suggest option #2.

Don't worry about trying to improve things until you try your own beer and are happy that you can do it ... it's one of the most rewarding feelings to drink your own beer, even if it's just a standard kit. It's hard to improve what you haven't tasted yet. I have wasted too much time doing that already ...

Instead, I suggest trying to convince SWMBO to allow you to brew a 5 gallon batch every two weeks or so and to allow room in the house for a fermentation housing to maintain proper temperatures. :D

I'm only two batches in (that I've tried) with a third (Apfelwein) in the pipeline, so I can't say much, but I will say this ... RDWHAHB.

Tie yourself over with one of two things: 1) a bottle (or more) of your favorite brew, or 2) brew another batch (well, at least as much as SWMBO allows). I highly suggest option #2.

Don't worry about trying to improve things until you try your own beer and are happy that you can do it ... it's one of the most rewarding feelings to drink your own beer, even if it's just a standard kit. It's hard to improve what you haven't tasted yet. I have wasted too much time doing that already ...

Instead, I suggest trying to convince SWMBO to allow you to brew a 5 gallon batch every two weeks or so and to allow room in the house for a fermentation housing to maintain proper temperatures. :D

A ****in Men to that one bro.

If you have a problem with me smoking weed 'away from the house' then allow me to drink IN my house. :rockin:
-Me

remember, its easier to ask for forgivness than it is for permission. hehe...

My first beer is it's second week of primary and I am also starting to get addicted to the idea of making beer and reading this forum.

I am starting to look out the next kit (or 5) buying more kit and how I can start brewing from recipes. I haven't even bottled the first one, let alone tasted it, I have also been bitten by the bug.

It's going to be fun.

Back