this failed me as a flare nut picnic tap, don't do it....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i tried this so my picnic taps would be removable, but the one on the right after 6 or so months has developed a crack in the jumper tube.....

just i'd say this is isn't a viable option to get a flared picnic tap......

1643753926832.png

yeah i didn't clean my drip tray for the pic, just noticed the leak, and thought i'd share/warn others.....

You had a double ended MFL that you screwed barbs to?

it was a female flare nut on the draft line...then a male on my picnic tap....then the barbed picnic tap 'jumped' to the male flare nut....i was hoping it'd make it easier to clean the picnic taps...being i'd be able to just unscrew them......torpedo says they may have some flare versions in march available....

Why would you do this setup instead of a regular faucet?
I'm not trolling I'm genuinely curious

i prefer picnic taps, not that i've ever tried a 'real' faucet...but i like the way i can move a picnic tap around while i'm pouring.

i've thought about drilling a bigger hole for a shank and faucet many times in the past, and just always stick with my picnic taps....

Likely things sound better when you've been drinking?
:bott:

what? those look like water bottles? 🤣

I would never drink anything there. Uff. Gross. Get a regular shank and faucet system and keep it clean. Do you need to move around the picnic tap while pouring because you are off your rocker drunk?

I would never drink anything there. Uff. Gross. Get a regular shank and faucet system and keep it clean. Do you need to move around the picnic tap while pouring because you are off your rocker drunk?
Have you not SEEN what he posts?? If you had, you wouldn't need to ask (answer is YES!). ;)

Never had an issue with the faucets (on shanks) for my brews. Never felt the need to move things around as the glass gets filled either. With four of the faucets being stout type (with nitro/co2 mix) I keep the glass vertical (no tilting or moving it).

@bracconiere That might be true, but don't you drink alone??

did elvis need to gyrate his hips when he sang and played guitar? probably not, but the girls thought it was sexy and loved him for it! :mug:
Im sure the ladies would think the same about your picnic tap guitar.
Have you not SEEN what he posts?? If you had, you wouldn't need to ask (answer is YES!). ;)

Never had an issue with the faucets (on shanks) for my brews. Never felt the need to move things around as the glass gets filled either. With four of the faucets being stout type (with nitro/co2 mix) I keep the glass vertical (no tilting or moving it).

@bracconiere That might be true, but don't you drink alone??
Oh Ive seen it and I troll. Surprised I have not yet received a "vacation" from this place.

As of yesterday evening...I think I officially hate picnic taps. Due to...moreorless a complete lack of confidence with my brewing as of late, I've developed a habit of hooking up a picnic tap to a conditioning keg. This has a couple different purposes. One, to make sure I'm not going to dump it. Two, to test carbonation. Three, to save myself some time and grief from cleaning the line (again) if I'm just going to end up dumping the damn beer.

Last night, open up the kegerator and the damn thing has evidently been dripping since the last time I opened it up which was sometime last week. Not a horrible mess, but enough that I felt the need to clean it all up which was annoying. Not the first time that this has happened, but this last event was definitely the worst one.

I've got an extra faucet that I stopped using because it doesn't operate as smooth as I'd like it to. I think the tolerances are a little off between the shuttle? and the inner bore. Think I'll put something together so I can just use that off a ball lock connector to fulfill the same use case.

I just pray you wear clothes. 😲 Or are, at the very least, not neked. :eek:

pajamas....

Last night, open up the kegerator and the damn thing has evidently been dripping since the last time I opened it up which was sometime last week.

yeah, i'd imagine any 'serious', lol, picnic tap user knows, when you get a new one. take it apart and stretch the spring inside or they drip....

Only time I used a picnic tap was when I brought a keg of my IPA to an Independence Day gathering at my sister's place. Keg was setup in a tub of ice and was consumed. Brought home the empty keg. ;)

@bracconiere Did you keep a straight face when typing that (any 'serious'...)?? Didn't think the words "serious" and "picnic tap" could go in the same sentence.

As of yesterday evening...I think I officially hate picnic taps. Due to...moreorless a complete lack of confidence with my brewing as of late, I've developed a habit of hooking up a picnic tap to a conditioning keg. This has a couple different purposes. One, to make sure I'm not going to dump it. Two, to test carbonation. Three, to save myself some time and grief from cleaning the line (again) if I'm just going to end up dumping the damn beer.

Last night, open up the kegerator and the damn thing has evidently been dripping since the last time I opened it up which was sometime last week. Not a horrible mess, but enough that I felt the need to clean it all up which was annoying. Not the first time that this has happened, but this last event was definitely the worst one.

I've got an extra faucet that I stopped using because it doesn't operate as smooth as I'd like it to. I think the tolerances are a little off between the shuttle? and the inner bore. Think I'll put something together so I can just use that off a ball lock connector to fulfill the same use case.

I put a shutoff in line before the picnic tap. Although I have since switched to Pluto guns, I still have the shutoff. That way I can be reasonably sure that it won't be partially opened if it shifts in the fridge.

Only time I used a picnic tap was when I brought a keg of my IPA to an Independence Day gathering at my sister's place. Keg was setup in a tub of ice and was consumed. Brought home the empty keg. ;)

@bracconiere Did you keep a straight face when typing that (any 'serious'...)?? Didn't think the words "serious" and "picnic tap" could go in the same sentence.

There's a whole giant thread here about the serious picnic tap users, and their fancy picnic taps! :D

Is that a Jeff Bezos rocket homage?
Nope... Pretty sure he's anti-2A... I have more items of that type (2A, not Bezos) waiting. SKS and Mosin bayonets, pump action off a shotty (made adapters for all three of those to go to the 3/8-16 threads used on the faucets). I have a 30mm case that I keep thinkin about converting. Now that I have the rotary table (with 3 jaw chuck) for my milling machine, I'll see about getting it secured in there so I can drill and tap the base. Otherwise I'll need to make an insert for the open end to work. No lathe, so making the hole would probably be easier. Unless my friend with a lathe has his operational again.

Nope... Pretty sure he's anti-2A... I have more items of that type (2A, not Bezos) waiting. SKS and Mosin bayonets, pump action off a shotty (made adapters for all three of those to go to the 3/8-16 threads used on the faucets). I have a 30mm case that I keep thinkin about converting. Now that I have the rotary table (with 3 jaw chuck) for my milling machine, I'll see about getting it secured in there so I can drill and tap the base. Otherwise I'll need to make an insert for the open end to work. No lathe, so making the hole would probably be easier. Unless my friend with a lathe has his operational again.
Sounds awesome, have fun. A lathe is one thing I have always wanted to get, but I enjoy your adaptations!

I had a lathe for a number of years. It got messed up in my last move and even after getting it repaired it had issues. Let someone else take over that problem. Got the milling machine in the garage now (Grizzly G0761) and added DROs to it along with a bunch of tooling and such. They say you spend (at least) the amount you spend on the mill on additional items. I believe it. Between the DRO set, the current vise (this is the third one I've had), end mill holding items, and more layout items (Haimer - 80.360.00.IN HAIMER Universal 3D Sensor - Inch Version: Multi Testers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific for one) it really adds up.
By the same token, I've made more things with the mill than I could have without it. Some simple things, like a mount for a LED light in the garage (mounts the garage door rail).
At some point I plan to get a good sized lathe (after I move again to someplace where I'll have enough space) again. I might also get a CNC mill to expand what I can do/make.

Did you keep a straight face when typing that

wait? all of my posts are posted with the upmost sincerity...it's all you guys that take it as a joke..... ;) :mug:

edit: and i did mean it, every picnic tap i've owned dripped at first until i dismanteled them, and stretched the spring....rock solid afterwards.....
I get to play with different things as handles.

i don't want to combine that comment with the mushroom cap....

see above....

How do you move the faucets around when pouring a beer? Lol

i don't think he needs to? didn't he say he just shoots it into the glass with a nitro/co2 blend? ;)

Four on the right are nitro/CO2 mix. Two on the left are CO2 only. At least for now. Might end up doing nitro mix for everything at some point.

For the record, machining/making things with the mill is a hobby for me. My 'real job' is in the IT field (for now). I did make two different bases for the Tapcooler can filler. Along with a mount to the bar clamp for the newer version (where it grips the can). IME, knowing where the bit is going related to the piece being machined is important. Sure, some use the marks on the handles, but those are notorious for being inaccurate (backlash is a *****). DROs only measure when the table (or spindle) moves on it's axis.

Four on the right are nitro/CO2 mix. Two on the left are CO2 only. At least for now. Might end up doing nitro mix for everything at some point.

do they make a stout picnic tap?for like if you buy a keg of guiness for a party or something? 🤔

do they make a stout picnic tap?for like if you buy a keg of guiness for a party or something? 🤔
Not in the ghetto mode you have. I do have a stout faucet on a QD for when I take the small keg with me. I use a paintball nitro bottle (with micro nitro regulator) in those cases. Gives the right pour. :D

Not in the ghetto mode you have. I do have a stout faucet on a QD for when I take the small keg with me. I use a paintball nitro bottle (with micro nitro regulator) in those cases. Gives the right pour. :D

if you didn't notice those are stainless!!! :mug: that be like...

Hi-Point. Makers of dirt cheap pew-pews for low prices. ;) They're the ghetto stepchild of their world. No one with any kind of standards buys one unless it's part of a joke. Or lost a bet.

@bracconiere wrote "i prefer picnic taps, not that i've ever tried a 'real' faucet..."

I can relate to an emotional attachment to a thing or a kind of thing, especially if it has strong positive associations.

Having tried both picnic taps and, more recently, Perlick faucets, I'm liking the faucets.

Maybe it's just that my particular picnic tap history includes too much mediocre and/or foamy beer, beer getting on my fingers when I wanted it in my glass. But to each their own, eh?

Back