This Ever Happen To You?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super64

Reaction score
I boiled my wort outside, it was just after flameout and I was carrying the pot into the house so I could chill it. I thought I saw something floating near the surface that didn't look like a hops leave.

When I got the pot into the sink, I stirred it around, but no luck, whatever it was disappeared into the cold break and stuff.

I used a metal sieve to strain the wort before it got into the primary, still nothing.

Finally, after transferring what I had, I strained the sludge at the bottom, and BINGO!

Somewhere along the boil a Japanese Beetle had snuck into the wort

I assume that its been sanitized.. :cross:

This aught to be some good S**T :drunk:

Anybody else something like this happen or was I just lucky.

Funny, the last time I brewed I noticed a pincher bug crawling on the outside of my HLT. It disapeared quickly, and I thought to myself, there is NO way that bug is going to make in out of my tiny little 1/4" valve I have on the hot liquor tank, much less through the grain bed after vorlauf, so I shrugged it off.

Neverthless, guess what was sitting on top of the hot break when the wort finally came to boil? I was shocked. Scooped it off and flung it into the neighbors yard.

Back