Third Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitt100

Reaction score
I brewed up a NB cream ale kit on 3/24 and racked it over to a secondary on the 31st. It had fermented vigously and by the end of the week I was getting 1 bubble every 2 minutes or so. Now in the seconday I have about an inch of light foamy krausen. It seems to have started to referment or kickstart itself on the transfer. I used a Wyeast smack-pack 1338. Is this out of the ordinary? It tasted fine, I've never had this happen before. Will I need to rack it to a tertiery in a week or wait 2 weeks and filter it really well into the bottling bucket? Thanks,
Pitt

pitt100 said:
Is this out of the ordinary? It tasted fine, I've never had this happen before. Will I need to rack it to a tertiery in a week or wait 2 weeks and filter it really well into the bottling bucket?
It's probably a little out of the ordinary, but not unheard of. Personally I wouldn't worry about a tertiary...I'd just wait till the second krauzen falls, then leave it two weeks after that. Make the last week a cold one if you can.

That does happen... sometimes it's as though the racking procedure just gets things stirred up somehow... wakes things up a bit, and you get a second wind. It'll settle out. Time is your friend here. Wait till she clears, before you bottle, even if it takes an extra week.

Latest posts

Back