Third Batch and ready to open up shop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePenn

Reaction score
Ok so I am not going to open a bussiness right away, but after touring breweries, and enjoying the few brews I have created, the Idea has crossed my mind a couple of times every hour of the day. The idea has even led me to buy the "Brewing up a Bussiness" book writen Sam Calagione the Dogfish Head creator. Asking the more salty of the homebrewers, is this a dream that will die with age or something that I should really look into (did you once dream of this and wish you pulled the trigger?). I would also like to hear some success stories or just basic experience in general.

Little background: I will be leaving the military (9 years) in a couple of months to go back to school and get a second bachelor's was thinking about teaching but this new hobbie has brought on a new draw. Was thinking I could try to work at one of the local breweries in the Raleigh area see if it is really what I want to do. Also the SWMBO laughs and gives me the stink eye when the topic comes up. More worried about her being along for the ride than I am finding the money to do it all.

This has probably crossed every homebrewers mind at least once. It is a great goal to have. I think one of the main reasons most people don't do it is the upfront costs and all the legal work. Not only do you have to buy/rent space, you need all the equipment, ingredients, all the legal fees, you need to submit everything including bottle labels, have your space check and approved...everything costs time and money. Starting up you will need to get your name out there to restaurants/bars and liquor stores. Unless you have a lot of money right now, you will most likely be the one running around doing everything.

Just like any business, don't expect to see a paycheck right away.

Hardly. The only reason most of us don't do it is because it's hard assed work for very little pay/reward. Sanitizing kegs, scrubbing out mash tuns, hauling grains, constant cleaning interrupted by the occasional activity of brewing. You'd be lucky to produce a consistent quality beer that appeals to the masses, much less something truly special. In our regional market, i'd say there's about three breweries that actually produce something magical that I can't get in any other brewpub, nano or micro. That, plus most brewery rats don't have the business clout or acumen for working the numbers, marketing and distribution side of the business.

It's comparably easy to write up a business plan, secure financial backing, draft up plans for the brewery, apply for the permits and work on the build out. You can easily burn through a quarter to a half million in capital just finishing the build out and getting your tap room open.

Lord thats a lot of money to throw at something that you arent even sure people will like. But man oh man would I do it if I had the money to spare. Right now I dont have two nickels to rub together though, so Ill just stick with making my 5 gallon batches. But what dream to have.

Look at J Wells Brewery. He is out in Colorado I believe. His story is right up your alley. He's got a Facebook page as well.

I would love to do it. I have settled on another route though. I opened a LHBS in my town back in October. Not much happening with it right now. It pays its own bills but hasnt got quite to the point of being self supporting with keeping stock on the shelf. But Im in the business now and loving it. Its cool having contact with homebrewers on a daily basis and talking about brewing. I hope it allows me to quit my day job someday and do it full time.

Opening a brewery sounds like a nightmare and a great way to kill a fun hobby. I have huge respect for anyone that does it (same way as I have huge respect for anyone that loves to work on cars and opens a tuning/fabrication shop).

I would rather open a homebrew shop, if you can open one in the right location you could draw in customers that otherwise have to drive a fair distance to the closest one. Hire a really good homebrewer in your area to teach classes, promote in any way you can. You'd get to have fun with your hobby (and learn a lot) and while managing the inventory must be a lot of work it's surely less stressful than brewing on a commercial scale.

I had this dream for awhile, but after creating the business plan and realizing how much it costs and what the compromises would be I decided against it. A big factor in addition to costs, licensing, legal, leasing a space, etc., is what Tupperwolf mentioned; I love brewing the beer I want to brew when I want to brew it. The thought of waking up every day knowing had to brew kind of freaked me out; my brew days are a source of pleasure and relaxation. Plus all my free time would have been kaput.

Personally if I had a chance to go back to school I wouldn't pursue a second bachelors degree; I'd take classes at Siebel or some other accredited brewing school and then work in an established brewery.

On the other hand, you may develop a business plan and realize this really is something you can/want to do; in which case your girlfriend/wife should support you.

Yeah the wife supports me, but like all adults she sees the risks at hand if we did go after something like this. I do like the idea of what the J Wells Brewery is, the Nano brewery also the idea of a LHBS sounds fun. This is a great hobby and introducing others to this hobby would be fun. Plus I am sure the LHBS owners learn tons of information from their customers.

Latest posts

Back