Thinking about kegging... after bottling 16 dozen, need help on the basics.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lady_brewer

Reaction score
I was thinking about looking into kegging (hubby is enthused...) we bottled about 16 dozen beer today, and while I like bottles and think there is a place for that, I would love to put a couple of main brews in kegs as the pipeline.

My issue is that I am totally new at this, and I live in not a great spot for starting out... anybody have a link to a basic explanation of how to start. I looked at some of the FAQ things, and there ones I clicked did not help/ were broken.

I would search more, but I have junk old internet, and would really appreciate any quick links that might help me. Really I am the kid going to kindergarten that still needs to learn their ABCs...

Thanks in advance for your help...

If it helps, our house came with a fridge (working) that we have been too lazy to bring to the dump... so that might be a bonus...

Take a look at some of the setups from the vendors (keg connection, beverage factory, midwest supplies, northern brewer, etc.) and search the forums, and you should find quite a bit of info.

Good luck. Kegging is a great time saver.

Nose around for some corny kegs... do you know anyone that works at either Pepsi or Coke? Anyone you know own a restaurant? A used, non-refurbed corny shouldn't cost you more than $30. Some places around here will charge you twice that. There's an ad in the local kijiji for someone who is asking $600 for 4. Some people...

I ordered a kit from Kegconnection including everything but the kegs. I will be using an old fridge, too - but I don't think it will be a permanent solution. I chose a kit with inexpensive "pic-nic" faucets that will just sit in the fridge, attached to the keg. Once I figure out something more long term, I'll change over to either a tower or fridge taps. I won't be out of pocket much for the pic-nics and they are good to have around.

I brewed for several years before starting to keg about 2 years ago. I was sort of intimidated by the whole thing- pressure, kegs, equipment, etc. Trust me, though- it's EASY! I'm not very mechanically inclined and I had no problem learning how to use the kegs and the co2 system. I now feel very confident with it, because it's really a very simple system.

We can help, and there are articles in BYO magazine and other places that can be helpful, too. Really, all you need are the kegs, a co2 tank, regulator, some beer line/ gas line, and various quick disconnects. Believe me, I'm no handy man, but I found it very easy.

Well, you're in Newfoundland. First thing I'd do if I were you would be to see if you can get CO2 locally. Kegging can get real inconvenient if you have to make a long drive for gas.

I would look through the kegging section stickies. They are very helpful. Just remember that a keg is like one big bottle when it comes time for cleaning, sanitizing, storage, cooling and so on. This and the fact that you can force carb are what make it so convenient.

Thanks!

My hubby's cousin works in a restaurant, and I think he may already planning to get a kegging system on the go, despite the fact that he doesn't brew anymore. I also used to work at a bar, that has the whole soda pop thing on the go (but no beer on tap... huh?) that I might be able to arrange a source of CO2, not sure how it will fly, or if that makes sense.

Dumb questions - how big are cornies? (cornys?) and do you always force carb (I am assume yes, but you know what they say about assuming.)

In other news, I bought two pots... 22.5 L ($45 in total!)- since I am thinking of pursuing Deathbrewer style brewing I would love to trade bottling time for brewing time if it can be done without too much expense.

Thanks!

Dumb questions - how big are cornies? (cornys?) and do you always force carb (I am assume yes, but you know what they say about assuming.)

5 gallons generally. I force carb some and naturally carb some (those going on my handpump or those I know I won't drink for a little while).

Kegging is definitely easy once you get all the equipment.

Back