Think we ALL agree......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Goswick

Reaction score
Pretty sure we ALL agree the worst things about brewing are waiting AND clean up. The later I think we can all attest is the WORST!! I am building a cleaning rig for my own taste. Would LOVE to see what you guys are doing. If It'll let me, I'll post pics of my rig and it progress, with results.

Brewing is mostly cleaning and waiting. You too can be a brewer if you like to clean and wait.

I use a slop sink in the laundry room/brewery and clean equipment as I go so the small jobs are broken up not creating one big cleaning job. By the time the boil is complete the RIMS tube and MLT are clean. (A Brew Bag makes cleaning the MLT a breeze). The wort goes into the fermenter and into the fridge then the BK is cleaned. I wait until the next day to clean the pump. The fermenter is cleaned once the beer is transferred to keg. The keg is cleaned when it kicks (or the next day or two).

Nothing to do about waiting except fill the time with other tasks such as weighing out brewing minerals or hops, taking pH and gravity readings, or cleaning.

I try to break up brewing chores as much as possible. Mill grain one day, bottle another, brew another. I always clean as soon as I'm done with one of the processes.

The only thing I've found to help with waiting is to have a pipeline. Waiting 9+ weeks to find out what a recipe tweak did is hard.

Since I switched to kegging the cleaning is not that bad. Hated cleaning all those bottles! I biab so after the mash I rinse the bag and hang to dry while boiling. Keg a batch on Saturday brew on Sunday.
Otoh waiting 4-6 weeks to taste a new recipe sucks at first but like BruceH said having a pipeline helps with that.

Since I switched to kegging the cleaning is not that bad. Hated cleaning all those bottles! I biab so after the mash I rinse the bag and hang to dry while boiling. Keg a batch on Saturday brew on Sunday.
Otoh waiting 4-6 weeks to taste a new recipe sucks at first but like BruceH said having a pipeline helps with that.
I've been kegging since I shortly started. Bottling was a MAJOR PITA!!! Not quite to the point with my brew area to do one a week(hopefully by the end of the year).

Back