Think I messed up my first cider attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britinusa

Reaction score
I bought organic cider from Whole foods The recipe I had did not mention about heating the juice, I added 1/2 cup of sugar and some champagne yeast, for the first few days i was getting a really sweet apple pie smell from the closet, now it smells like sweet apple juice i took a refractometer reading I have 6% Brix and 1.023 gravity read.
I am going to read it again in a few days to see if there is any change.
When i unscrew to cap the float in my air lock drops like there is co2 being produced.

That sounds normal... what part are you thinking you screwed up? If you're using a refractometer after the start of fermentation, you will need to correct the reading due to the presence of alcohol or it will be wildly inaccurate.

The only thing you needed to heat was the sugar. the organic juice was pasteurized. the sugar COULD be hiding some wild yeast or other bacteria, but that doesn't mean anything. all it means is you increased your chances of an infection. sounds like its goijng great to me. APPLE PIE? that awesome lol..

when i make my cider i boil some water turn off heat add sugar and allow it to dissolve into the water. Then make sure the temp is still above 160f. if its not i turn the heat back on.. let it sit at 160f for a bit(10 mins). then cool it to room temp(because thats what my apple juice is at) then add yeast.

Back