Think I killed my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinger_wooo

Reaction score
Righto my first post, I've just brewed my second beer and I think I've killed I before I started. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me not to waste my time with this batch. Stupidly when I went to and the yeast I forgot to check the temp which was at 28. I've since cooled it.

Brilliant I was thinking, once I realised,that yeast does work well up to 30+ degrees. Thanks for the reassurance.

One more thing I'd note is that even if it was hot enough to kill the yeast you didn't wreck your beer. You can just re-pitch when the temp comes down. There's some chance you'd get some off flavors from the dead yeast from the first pitch but even that's unlikely.

One more thing I'd note is that even if it was hot enough to kill the yeast you didn't wreck your beer. You can just re-pitch when the temp comes down. There's some chance you'd get some off flavors from the dead yeast from the first pitch but even that's unlikely.

The temperature was not hot enough to kill any yeast. In fact the yeast would be VERY happy at that temperature. It is just not optimum for flavor.

If the temperature was lowered before the fermentation had gotten started any off flavors might be minimal.

If fermentation had gotten started at the higher temperature any off flavors are already there and cannot really be removed. Longer aging may help some.

There is no reason to pitch new yeast.

Good at least I can compare the difference of taste and learn from the mistake. Thanks

Don't mind me I'm just brewing.

Back