Think I Have Got It!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASassyBeerChick83

Reaction score
First Brew - Bock

What's up! :)

So, today, after much plan & thought I think I have an idea of what I want to do to complete my FIRST Brew!! :) Okay... Checklist - will be made.. The only 2 things I have left to get is a long plastic spoon and large barrel Landry hamper without holes - something like a Keg holder... I have everything else and I talked to the hubby yesterday & we agreed that we would start the first brew Sunday! I am excited as this is my baby!! I have it pictured in my head of exactly how it should go down... My only worry? The high temps in Texas!! It's soooooo hot!! Eeeek!!! But I think I have good plan and think it will work. As time goes, I will begin posting pictures of the brew!! :)

Peace. Love & Beer!
Cheers!

Love the enthusiasm! Bock is a lager so unless you have a way to keep it in the low 50's for a few weeks you might consider an ale (alt or kolsh if you want to stay German) or saison.

Love the enthusiasm! Bock is a lager so unless you have a way to keep it in the low 50's for a few weeks you might consider an ale (alt or kolsh if you want to stay German) or saison.

She's got a Munton' kit - same as the first brew I did about 3 years ago. They use an ale yeast with that, so it's not a true lager, but it's pretty good anyway.

Hey Sassy

Congratulations on the impending beer baby. I hope you’re not expecting Shiner Bock, actually a dark lager. I used to brew in an upstairs apartment in the nether regions between Richardson and Plano, so I know what you’re up against.

Short answer, ice, and lots of it. When you’re done cooling it as much as you can with tapwater, put it in a tub and throw ice at it. Start with 20#, wait a couple of hours, see where you are. Continue to throw ice at it until the fermentation tapers off, a day or two, then gradually let it come up to room temperature.

-Wynn

She's got a Munton' kit - same as the first brew I did about 3 years ago. They use an ale yeast with that, so it's not a true lager, but it's pretty good anyway.

But I think it will be a good beer to brew --- even if it is my first time brewing ;) However, you bring up a good point... I am a bit worried about temps... but I think will be just fine. ;) I will keep my eye one it!! I have plenty of time! ;)

Peace. Love. & Beer.
:mug: Cheers!

Wrapping a wet towel around the fermenter is a simple way to reduce the temperature. Setting it in a tub of water helps as well.

I didn't pick up on that, thanks! If she can manage 63-65 the San Francisco Lager yeast might be a good option too.

I didn't pick up on that, thanks! If she can manage 63-65 the San Francisco Lager yeast might be a good option too.

Unfortunately she is in Texas and doesn't have a fermentation fridge or freezer, so she'll be doing good to keep it below 68º. Your suggestion is worth remembering though if she tries the same brew again in cooler weather.

Congrats on your first brew sassy, after a year and 40 brews I still have that enthusiastic approach to each brew. Search how to build a swamp cooler if you're concerned about temps. They're cheap and work well!

Well, I have heard lots and lots of your advice here...

However, I have talked to others who have brewed a bock kit in Texas and have kept it alright... I think I will be just fine... I have an idea of what I am going to do... Even if the first batch doesn't come out quite right... there is always room for improvement for the next one. ;) I am going to work on the Bock -- You guys are right! It is a hot one here in Texas.... but with a cold water bath and lots of iced water bottles, I think I will be good to go... Don't worry... I think actually going through the steps this first time brew is going to be a great learning experience for me!

Thanks for all of the advice!! I need more of it - being new and all. ;)

Peace. Love. & Beer.
:mug: Cheers!

Greetings Fellow Beer Buddies ;)

The hubby & I brewed the Munton's Bock Brew Kit a couple of weeks ago & bottled it on the Fourth of July! Yay!! So, now the waiting game begins!!

In the meantime... We purchased our next brew today!! Intense, right!!? I am gonna keep you all guessing & I guess you are just gonna have to sub in to my next thread for my next brew!! ;)
Hope everyone has a great Saturday!!

Peace. Love. & Beer!
Cheers!

Back