Think ahead, brew your Pumpkin Ales now!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruegerBrew

Reaction score
Theres no brew day I love more than pumpkin ale day. Pumpkin in the mash and spices in the boil overwhelm the neighborhood with a prelude of the cool fall nights and pumkinny-orange beer to come! Just sayin.

image-3461050882.jpg

I'm considering making an APA using pumpkin infused water for my mash and adding a couple spices at bottling just to try to get a hint of pumpkin. Probably get the grains within the next couple weeks and get it done.

I'm doing mine in a week. This is what I'm going to go with (2.5G batch):

2.5 lbs Roasted Pumpkin
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1 lbs Caramunich I
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt
4.0 oz Wheat, Torrified
0.75 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)
0.25 tsp Cinnamon (Boil 10 mins)
0.25 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (Boil 10 mins)
London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318)

You put your pumpkin right in the mash? I have only ever made 2 pumpkin beers both times put pumpkin right in boil. Very first time I put in way too much and only got 3.5 gallons from a 5 gallon batch.

Do you get the same pumpkin flavor by adding it to your mash? How about stuck sparges? Any issues by adding pumpkin into the mash?

I boiled my vanilla pumpkin porter two weeks ago and just moved it to the secondary this week. I had to add a little more spice "tea" to get the flavor where I wanted it. It's going to be tough waiting six weeks to sample this!

Back