Thin pot bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexy_sm

Reaction score
Hi all guys,

i have recently bought a 20l pot, and since it was only 9 euros, it's bottom is thin and has the same thickness as the walls of the pot. Do I have to be super carefull when boiling in order not to scortch the sugar?

thanks and cheers

Yes I am :)
Does this mean constant stiring from begining till the end?

I have a super thin pot, in short its crap. Yes it will scorch. I do all grain and each brew have to really scrub the unwanted off the bottom, I can't reduce the burner as I only just get a decent boil. Whenever I have used extract It's even worse (but have only done that twice).

I knew I should have bought a proper top. So constant stiring, nah.

Well, it is relative, bas since I can move bottom with my hand it is thin, much thinner than the tops I have seen.

Thin is thin ! Less than .3 mm
When I replace it I want a three layer, that's , stainless , Ali ,stainless and about 3mm. And that's loads a dosh!

Turn the burner off while adding extract, and stir it like mad until you as sure its mixed and then stir some more. Also look into doing late extract additions so you aren't boiling the extract very long. Cheers.

Mine burns and scorches with all grain, there is no thick syrupy stuff there , thin is carp, that's why they are cheap,

Well, it is relative, bas since I can move bottom with my hand it is thin, much thinner than the tops I have seen.

Relative to what? I can move the bottom of my pot, and it's not thin.

You need to try it. Just because someone else says their pot scorches doesn't mean yours will. You don't have the same pots, or burners.

Back