Thickest, Yeastiest Krausen East of the Mississippi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archiefl98

Reaction score
I brewed up a Wee Heavy on 3/20/2010 -- 5 gallons @ 1.104 OG :rockin:

I gave it a nice healthy 2.5L starter of WLP028.

It's been a week today.

I open the bucket to look, and there is this thick, perfectly yeasty-tan-colored krausen on top of the beer still. If they made expanding foam in tan color, it would look like this. There hasn't been a lot of airlock activity (I know -- wait for it) -- so I decided to take a hydro reading. I'm down to 1.040 after 7 days. Since there's a great foamy niceness on top of this thing I guess I'll let her rip for another week and see if I can get her down into the mid 1.020's.

krausen2.jpg

Yup close that thing up and wait, its done when it wants to be done. Never rush a good beer in the making. A carboy is nice as you can see what going on in the inside with out taking the top off.

Must be the week of krausen. I started my first IPA on about 3/22, and one week later, thick as thick-can-be foam on the top. I haven't the heart to poke through it to get a hydro-reading. I'll leave it be for another weekend, I suppose.

If I didn't know that was a beer bucket, I would think some d-bag took a cell phone picture of his frothed up hot chocolate in a styrofoam cup!

Back