Thick bits in 1st day fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spybrew

Reaction score
Hi guys, i am on my 2nd brewing and would like some advice. I just started fermentation this morning and after about 12 hours i ckecked my fermentor and saw some thick bits floating allover the fermentor.this wasnt the case with my first brew which was a coopers lager.now i am brewing coopers heritage lager which has 2types of yeast ale snd lager and its worrying me a bit what are these bits floating,can someone help me because i am worrying something is wrong.
Thanks for any advice guys.

Did it look like this?

If so it's just healthy fermentation where the yeast is pushing all the hops and other trub around in the carboy as they reproduce.

Did it look like this?

If so it's just healthy fermentation where the yeast is pushing all the hops and other trub around in the carboy as they reproduce.

This is exactly how it looks, thank you very much for the info, was very helpful.

i have 1 more question to make if you can help me, the instructions on the kit recommends to ferment at 68 to 80 F and says that it can ferment as low as 55F. I am fermenting at 61F at the moment as its a lager and i read that the lower the better for lagers, will this make it any better? Also it says that primary fermentation should be for about 6 days. Will the beer improve if i let it more or it doesn't really matter?
Thanks again

spybrew said:
i have 1 more question to make if you can help me, the instructions on the kit recommends to ferment at 68 to 80 F and says that it can ferment as low as 55F. I am fermenting at 61F at the moment as its a lager and i read that the lower the better for lagers, will this make it any better? Also it says that primary fermentation should be for about 6 days. Will the beer improve if i let it more or it doesn't really matter?
Thanks again

61 F is fine. The lower you ferment (within the range of the yeast) the cleaner tasting a beer you will get. When the fermentation starts to slow, I'd bring it up to ~68. That'll help the yeast finish up and get rid of any diacetyl. Then do with it what you normally would after its done fermenting.

Latest posts

Back