Thermometers Bro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbro29

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wondering what type of thermometers you guys have had the best luck with?

I've heard that laser thermometers are not recommended but I have seen other Brewers use them without any issue. I'm heating my mash/spare water in an aluminum pot that has some oxidation so it's not reflective.

My digital probe thermometer is all wonky and is off by between 2 to 9 degrees depending on the temperature so I just want something with quick and accurate readings.

Sorry for the redundant question but let me know what worked best for you guys!

CDN450 ~$16 Amazon. Just do not use the "pen holder."
No complaints, although not as fast as the $100 Thermapens.

I have both a thermapen and CDN. The CDN gets the job done just fine for brewing. Iv found the thermapen much more useful in the kitchen or at the grill.

I will say I have had some issues with my thermapen, I haven't taken the time to figure out if it's just failing batteries or what.

Deja vu... This exact question came up a few months ago. IslandLizard and I discussed the pen holder issue then too. I say that it's a tight fit at first but will quickly loosen up and work like it's supposed to.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021AEAG2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a cheap digital probe for a short while. It was so slow that I was not confident in the temperature. The Thermapen steadies in seconds.

I use the Thermopop, little brother/sister to the Thermapen. No denying that the Thermapen is the best thermometer around but it cost over $100 where I live. The Thermopop is made by the same company, is almost as accurate and as fast (read time is 5-6 seconds instead of 2-3 seconds) but it costs less than a third of the price. Very good value.

I've used both... CDN is marginally slower than the Thermopen, and i would say reads just slightly higher then the thermopen by .5C. for me... The thermopen is not worth the added expense especially since I also have a Milwaukee pH meter with thermo probe. The accuracy on that is on par with the thermoprobe.

Back