Thermometer that work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddStark

Reaction score
Hey guys, what have you found that works for you? I have a thermometer on my brew kettle that seems a little wonky. It will all of a sudden read 10 deg higher then return slowly over 15 min period. I have an Igrill digital that holds 4 probes and each returns a different temp/non I trust. Then I have a long needled turkey fryer thermometer that is kinda what I am choosing to believe at the moment.

I am just not having any luck with a thermometer that is accurate to a degree. I would prefer digital and Bluetooth so I can monitor from afar.

Also I purchased two glass mercury type thermometers in last month. One says everything is 60 deg always and the other says my water boils at 185 deg
Please offer up suggestions on what you like/use.

Last edited:
I stick a long thermometer in from the top of the kettle. Stir it around a bit, poke around into several places in the mash, take the average, whatever. Not difficult, and more accurate, versus the snag of a probe stuck in one spot in the kettle.

Rather than scrapping your thermometer, have you calibrated?
Most analogue thermometers can be calibrated. Possibly digital ones too but I don't know if all can. If your thermometer goes low enough ice water bath sits at approx 32F/0C. If it's off, adjust the nut on the back until its correct.

Alternatively you can boil distilled water. It boils @ 212F/100C @ Sea level. Then adjust calibration.

Regarding slow rise and recovery, check that the thermometer isn't bent.

For absolute and fast accuracy, a Thermopen Mk IV.

I have one of these on my kettle: https://spikebrewing.com/collections/kettle-accessories/products/1-2-npt-thermometer-adjustable-face

It's pretty accurate, within a degree or two. Because it's an adjustable-face thermometer, there's just a little friction on the inside that the temp changes have to overcome; I'll tap it to make sure it's right. Boiling is 210 degrees which, at my altitude (1000 feet) is just right on.

When I'm trying to get strike water at exactly the temp I want, I'll get close using the thermometer on the kettle, then stir that water well, then check with my Thermopen.

There are lots of options out there. First you need to decide if you want a handheld or a unit with a remote probe. I went with a remote probe.

Thermoworks makes some nice products. I use the ChefAlarm, and like it a lot. I use the high/low alarms and the timer every brew.

The ChefAlarm only uses the Thermoworks Pro Series probes, the flexible portion of which cannot cannot be submerged. I've never had a need to submerge that junction, but I wanted to idiot proof it. I got the optional 12" probe, then encased the cable with PTFE shrink tubing (McMaster part #75665K85) , using a moisture seal adhesive (McMaster #1428T1) at the probe/cable junction. It has never given me any problems, and I don't expect it to. I attached some photos. That shrink tubing is high temp, so you have to use a flame to shrink it.

If you're OK spending more, the Thermoworks ThermaQ 2 is a good choice. It has hi/low alarms, but no timer. The best feature about it is that it can use the K type PTFE/FEP probes, which are good to go for use in hot wort.

For less money, Thermoworks makes a MTC Mini thermocouple meter, which can use the wort safe K type PTFE/FEP probe. It is a simple temperature only meter (no alarms or timer).

I wanted one device that had hi/low alarms and a timer, so that's why I went with the ChefAlarm. I was willing to put up with the minor hassle of waterproofing the cable -- I didn't have to do that, I just didn't want to have to worry about it getting wet. It's also a great thermometer for cooking/grilling. IMG_20171023_163347_417.jpg IMG_20171023_174132_196.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180208_135342_829.jpg
    IMG_20180208_135342_829.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 115
I love my Thermapen! It was expensive, but I"ve had it for about 8 years and when it went "wonky", they replaced/repaired for $25.

I use it for other things besides brewing, like soapmaking and cooking/grilling too. It's an instant read, taking up to 3 seconds for a reading that is incredibly accurate.

the Thermoworks does look like a nice fairly priced option. Only thing it is missing for me is Bluetooth so I can monitor temps from a distance but that is not a deal breaker. I appreciate ALL your input, thank you very much guys and as soon as I finish this brew day I will spend more quality time looking at all the options you have provided.

the Thermoworks does look like a nice fairly priced option. Only thing it is missing for me is Bluetooth so I can monitor temps from a distance but that is not a deal breaker. I appreciate ALL your input, thank you very much guys and as soon as I finish this brew day I will spend more quality time looking at all the options you have provided.

If you can wait a bit, Thermoworks has sales from time to time; the normal price on the Thermapen Mk 4 is $99 but occasionally it goes on sale; they also have percent-off sales on everything here and there.

Today the Classic Thermapen is on sale for $59; same accuracy and speed as the Mk4, lacking a couple bells and whistles. https://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen

...Bluetooth so I can monitor temps from a distance ....

ThermoWorks also has:

BlueDOT bluetooth alarm thermometer for $69. Uses the Pro Series probes (advisable to use the optional 12" straight probe, and waterproof the cable & probe junction).

ThermaQ Blue for $219. ThermaQ WiFi for $239. Both of these accept the hot wort proof Type K PTFE/FEP probe.

The specs for their Bluetooth range (line of sight) is not impressive, 95ft for the BlueDot and 150ft for the ThermaQ . The alarm on my ChefAlarm can be heard from greater distances than that.

Back