Thermally shock yeast by adding ice in the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Meister_General

Reaction score
I don't have a fridge cold crashing so I thought, using ice (sanitised/campden/pH 4.5) could be neat way to thermally shock the yeast into flocculating a day or so before bottling.

What do you recon?

I reckon that, if you try it, you want to make sure the ice is sanitized somehow. VERY hard to do, so I wouldn't even try. I know you mention a plan to do that, but it's a risk, especially since bacteria could be inside the ice, and wouldn't be sanitized that way.

If I was going to do that, I'd put the ice around the fermenter, not in it...especially since that would dilute the beer. Maybe a combination of a damp towel and a bunch of ice in a big plastic tub. I'd also just do it overnight since things won't stay cold for very long.

I, also, would suggest against doing this. Besides the possible risk of contamination, you will be watering your beer down as well. If you don't have a refrigerator or other chamber to cold crash in, I like the idea from @Talgrath. Are you using buckets to ferment in? Are you using a water bath to maintain your fermentation temperature? If yes to both, then dump your water, refill with ice, rock salt and water. That should crash your temperature very quickly.

Yeah it seems more effort than its worth really but maybe I'll try it once just to see. Cold shocking is meant to have a negative effect on the yeast in terms of metabolisation or something, but if its flocculating that shouldn't be an issue.

Back